1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier: Take that damned flag down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Apr 15, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Here's a news flash. People aren't afraid of the Klan. They're not running from people in white sheets acting like they're Casper the friendly ghost.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That's exactly the problem. The majority of people that have a Rebel flag sticker or flag don't make that connection. It's just another sticker on their truck next to their favorite NASCAR driver or bible quote. I'm as liberal as anyone, but I'm not ready to call everyone with a rebel flag a racist. It's more a problem of ignorance and insensitivity. Labeling everyone a member of the klan doesn't help.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Let me clarify: I'm not pro-Rebel flag. At all. Don't own one, wouldn't fly one and I could easily pass for someone not from the South if not for sports allegiances and such.

But the above is dead on. In the South, all sorts fly the flag. Some could well be rednecks and undoubtedly some of them are racist.

I'm convinced, though, that some of them do it because their parents did it or because it helps them fit in with their friends or neighbors. They do it because nothing fills the void like following in Mom or Dad's footsteps. I'm also willing to believe many do it as a brand sort of thing, which could be construed as ignorant in some cases, not because they're trying to be hateful or draw the most distinct lines in the sand.

Again, I'm not condoning the flag but ideally, I believe many of those would be wise to have more education and information on the subject. FWIW, kudos to Steve Spurrier for speaking out on the subject given how touchy a topic it is in South Carolina.

Flame away ...

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The "...it's a part of our history" meme is tired, folks.

Of course it is. So are millions of other things. And no one is objecting to any of them being in a museum.

The objection is to that flag flying today, in 2007.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NBC left Nascar because they got the NFL back for the fall, not because of racism problems in NASCAR. I think ESPN has done a good job in their attempts to broaden the audience, and NASCAR has as well. When NASCAR tracks ban Rebel flags at tracks they race at - THAT will be the day the worm turns

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It was not overt racism but the flag was an issue. They were also some other things including a dispute with Humpy Wheeler that did not sit well with NBC.
    Humpy actually threatened an NBC executive.

7. boots

boots New Member

I still think the main problem is that many don't relate to the NASCAR drivers. Some don't see them as athletes.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

9. Here's an update on this situation and some more thoughts:

Yesterday a prominent black lawmaker and civil rights leader verbally spanked Spurrier for his anti-flag comments that came just as the state is preparing for a presidential primary. The lawmaker scolded Spurrier for turning the national presidential spotlight on the flag and away from the state's more pressing concerns like violence, poor education, racial divide, etc.

I'm not surprised by this at all. I appreciate this thread because it reminded me how I felt about the flag's prominence when I first moved here (why leave something up that offends so many people), how the rest of the country feels about it and how we must look from the outside.

But the reality is nothing is going to happen soon, no matter how many McCains, Clintons or Obamas criticize it.

This is why: When the debate last raged on in this state seven or eight years ago, it literally bogged the statehouse down for an entire session and, even more significantly, contributed to a Republican governor in a red state losing an election to a Democrat. The state NAACP especally became a joke because this was the only significant stance it had made in recent memory and got outwitted by a bunch of redneck lawmakers who smirkingly took the flag from an obscure resting post above the statehouse and placed it smack dab in front of it.

It was a mess.

That is why, believe it or not, even most black people in this state don't want to discuss the flag anymore ... at least not to a reporter. To a man, sure, they'll roll their eyes about the ridiculousness of it, but it has gotten to the point that everyone realizes its useless and no one wants to relive it. They've given up. The white flag is now as prominent as the confederate one. The only people who still bring it up are the occasional columnist, the NAACP or a prominent outsider like Spurrier who is speaking his conscience and, no doubt, echoing the doubts he hears from out of state recruits wondering what the fuck is going on in this state.

So yes, Spurrier's comments were true, if not a bit self-serving, but don't be shocked to know that even one of the state's most active civil rights leaders told him to shut his mouth.

Barring a miracle, it's not coming down anytime soon.

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/Stories.aspx?section=localnews&tableId=139388&pubDate=4/17/2007

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ford is on Hillary's payroll and he does not want it to be issue for her.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WLTX, AP) -- Tuesday, a South Carolina state senator addressed comments he made to a newspaper reporter about Barack Obama's chances as a presidential candidate.

Charleston Senator Robert Ford and Hopkins Senator Darrell Jackson, who are both African-American, told The Associated Press recently that they are supporting Hillary Clinton, and that they believe she is the only Democrat who can win.

But it's Ford's comments about Obama--the Illinois Senator who's hoping to become the first African-American to become president--that have caused some controversy.

Ford says he likes Obama, but thinks his candidacy would hurt Democrats. Ford says every Democrat on the ticket would lose with Obama as the presidential candidate because he is black.

Here is his quote, from the Associated Press:

"Then everybody else on the ballot is doomed. Every Democratic candidate running on that ticket would lose because he's black and he's at the top of the ticket. We'd lose the House, the Senate and the governors and everything. I'm a gambling man. I love Obama. But I'm not going to kill myself."

News19 asked Ford about his comments, which were made during a speech several weeks ago. He explains the statement this way:

"I was challenged by a young person about why a black person like you is not supporting a black candidate. In the past, I have supported black candidates...And he kept challenging me, and I said well, I asked him blah, blah, blah, it led to something else. That's all heat of passion. But I wish Senator Obama well."

Later in the day, however, he made a statment to the Associated Press, saying, "If I caused anybody – including myself – any pain about the comments I made earlier, then I want to apologize to myself and to Senator Obama and any of his supporters."

For most of the interview with News19, he didn't talk specifically about his quote, saying that he strongly supports Clinton.

"She's speaking the same language(in the U.S. Senate) as I am in the South Carolina Senate."

Ford says he's been a friend of the Clintons since 1992. He says he was swayed by calls from the Clintons.

Ford and Jackson helped South Carolina native John Edwards win the state's primary in 2004. The former North Carolina senator is running again next year, too. But Jackson says Edwards had his chance four years ago.

News19 contacted Jackson's office Tuesday. He issued the following statement: "I think that Obama running for president is good for America, but I don't support him. I think Clinton has the most experience, and is ready to lead the nation right now."

11. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

The Nazis actually inverted the symbol. I remember when I was in Korea, someone saw a swastika on a Buddhist temple and assumed the Triple-Kilo boys were in town. Obviously there's some education that needs to be done...

Draft saved Draft deleted