1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"shucked & jived" offensive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nutgraph, May 15, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure one of her homosexual classmates could have claimed he/her was "scarred for life" because she made that statement, sued and won millions...

The double standards and hypocrisy not too mention idiocy of political correctness never ceases to astonish me.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What major newspaper has a female sports columnist and also runs column sig photos?

As an experiment, I'm going to send an angry letter to that paper's ombud saying I was shocked and outraged that the paper wouldn't respect my religion. I mean clearly the paper doesn't care about Muslins(?) or they wouldn't run an uncovered female face in the paper.
    Just to see what happens.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's a very good point, and don't anybody deny that it is. (Muslims, Jay.)

This is the kind of lunacy we're talking about when we have to worry about shucking and jiving.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I was always told it was an offensive term. I think I heard it used on Happy Days once by Mr. C. Does anybody even say colored any more?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can't say ``colored people,'' but you can say ``people of color.''

Ain't semantics grand?

6. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

i once worked with a sports editor who used to say, "i'm not a racist because i can't see color. i'm colorblind."

7. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

Spot on, Frank.

8. boots

boots New Member

I've seen many races shucking and jiving. The term comes from the Jim Crow era.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This guy, Armando Acuna, checks in...
    http://www.sacbee.com/acuna/story/185697.html

10. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

White is a color.

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Feller is absolutely correct about that!!!

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He tied it in with other comments about there being no strong leadership in this country anymore. He talked about when he was growing up there was strong leadership from presidents like Roosevelt and Eisenhower. He cited Reagan as a strong leader because he had outstanding advisors. Today, there aren't strong leaders and one reason is because whenever anybody says something, it seems to be offensive to somebody. Either they don't take charge of things or they spend half their time apologizing for offending someone.

Draft saved Draft deleted