1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - The Berkshire Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BeeYouDee, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BeeYouDee

BeeYouDee New Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=810974

Company: The Berkshire Eagle
    Position: Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 5, 2007

Description:
    The Berkshire Eagle seeks a full-time sports writer and paginator whose skills form the foundation to convey compelling sports stories for both our print and online editions. The right candidate should have the skills to engage readers through compelling print and online articles, have a knack for enterprise and feature stories as well as beat reporting and game coverage, lay out multiple eye-grabbing pages in Quark XPress on deadline and blog about their reporting experiences. Experience with audio and visual multimedia is a plus. Located in Pittsfield, Mass., in the heart of the cultural Berkshires, the Eagle covers 12 area high schools, two NCAA Division III colleges and a summer college wooden-bat baseball league, as well as a number of area youth sports. There are also opportunities to occasionally cover Boston professional sports and the Saratoga horse racing course during the summer. The Eagle produces news through its 30,000-circulation daily newspaper, its multimedia Web site, online reader forums, blogs, and in concert with its partners in radio and television. If you embrace the opportunities presented, e-mail your resume and portfolio to Human Resources Director Alinda Shank at ashank@berkshireeagle.com.

I worked some summers in Pittsfield while in college. Nice part of the country, within modest drive to several major cities but don't know much about the paper.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I know the person whose departure led to this opening. Perhaps he can shed some light on the paper.

3. FromTheBlock

FromTheBlock New Member

I believe Matt Sprague recently took the position as sports editor at this paper-

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I, too, know the person who is leaving the Eagle. Whomever replaces him has big shoes to fill.

5. FromTheBlock

FromTheBlock New Member

who left this paper- and what were his reasons?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Someone left the paper. His reasons are his own.

7. Psshhh, you don't know me!

Wait, yes you do.

PM me for details on this job. I am the one leaving. Suffice to say, the hiring process is running on all cylinders, so get 'em in fast, and get 'em in clean.

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I was offered a sports gig here about 2 years ago. It was described as a "high school enterprise" position. They were wanting me to do a lot of longer features, big-picture stuff. I ended up turning it down mostly because it was so far away from anything and anyone I had ever known, and they couldn't bring me in for an interview. But I was pretty intrigued by the idea that they wanted to have a position like this at a paper its size, and my dealings with the M.E. were all good. Nothing bad to say from my end. If the paper hadn't been so far away or if I had known some people in the area, I would have taken the job.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Really pretty part of the country. The paper isn't half what it used to be, but it's still better than most.

The building is pretty cool, though. Of course, it was the purchase and renovation of that building that triggered the family's financial collapse that led to selling all of the papers to MediaNews and JRC. But hey, enjoy it.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At least this one ain't owned by JRC.

MMSW, which ones did they sell off to JRC?

11. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Meh. :p

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

No, it's true. Dude wears like size 15s. It's weird, because he's only 5-foot-6.

Draft saved Draft deleted