1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Information Director, University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ScottyDan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ScottyDan

ScottyDan Member

From the university that gave you Dick Vitale ....

Job Description:

PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

(1) Primary media contact for select sports

(2) Travel with teams, keeping statistics and scorebook.

(3) Writing and publishing of media guides, programs, game notes, and press releases.

(4) Conduct press conferences and act as liaison to media for select sports.

(5) Administer and manager website: Detroittitans.com.

(6) Oversee Sports Information student-intern program.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree required, preferably in communications, journalism or a related field.

EXPERIENCE: Past experience as a full-time assistant or intern in college sports information. Extensive writing experience and recording of sports statistics at the intercollegiate level.

LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Must have valid Michigan driver's License

TECHNICAL SKILLS: Working knowledge of website administration, The Automated Scorebook, Pagemaker, and Photoshop. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.

OTHER: Must be able to travel extensively (25%-50%)

WORK SCHEDULE: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. plus evenings, holidays and weekends.

SALARY: $28,000

We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment screenings on all final candidates.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

who left?

3. ScottyDan

ScottyDan Member

No idea, Slappy. I just saw the posting this morning and thought a youngan might be interested.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They'd also enjoy working for Mark Engel; working with Perry Watson, not so much

5. IBIS

IBIS Guest

$28,000 - :eek:

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Not sure what is so shocking about that price. Seems about the average going rate for an assistant SID at a mid-major school that doesn't have a DI or I-AA football program.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You're also trying to live in a big city on $28k.

Unless they're putting you up on campus for free, good luck.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Only in Detroit ...

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Very true. From what I know, other asst. SIDs at the mid-major level who don't work in major cities typically make 4-5K less than that.

These are pretty much good entry-level jobs for former SID interns or graduate students.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ouch. Remind me never to get in SID-dom.

With all your responsibilities, there's no time to freelance and pad that income.

11. Speedway

Speedway Member

I am actually surprised at how high this job's salary is considering what Asst. SID's make around the country. The wages are incredibly low, but the demand always high for these jobs.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I flirted with the idea of going into sports information, until I talked to the SID at a Division II school near a paper I worked at. He told me he was making $21K a year as the SID. At the time, I figured if I wanted to be paid peanuts, I might as well stay where I'm at now.

Draft saved Draft deleted