1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've got it. It's my first experience with football on the next gen consoles.

I'm liking it so far ... it's tough, but I'm learning the new controls and get acclimated to the game still.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Im pretty close to getting it but I can't justify throwing down $60 and change for a game I'll quit playing once Madden comes out in about a month. I'm a HUGE fan of the NCAA franchise mainly in part because of the previous Madden's being a pile of garbage (anything before EA teamed up with the developers of the 2K series); however, since Madden 08 was good, minus all of the freaking glitches, I've strayed away from NCAA. I really, really want to get back into it due to the online dynasty mode but my internet is terrible and my roommates don't want to pony up for Comcast.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My 360 came back today, wooooo!

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I got it yesterday. First College Football game I bought in a looooooong time. I'm liking it, although the controls are a bit tough to get a handle on. I'm learning things about the college game that are very interesting though.

For example, I did not know there was a trophy won during the Miami-Florida rivalry game. It's called the Seminole War Canoe Trophy.

I also love the fact you can save your highlights from that game and it doesn't eat up any extra space on your console. For example I can go back and revisit highlights from that Miami-Florida game any time I want, as long as you save them after the game is finished.

Coincidentally that game turned into an instant classic which Miami won 48-45 on a 48-yard field goal with :54 seconds left. WHEW!

The game is well worth the money I spent.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh, this game is definitely TONS better than Madden. (Of course that may be a matter of opinion).

I don't think I've ever paid full price for any Madden game. If I buy it, it's usually 4-5 months after release and its drastically reduced in price.

Anyway, NCAA controls do take a little getting used to. There's been more than once I've grounded the ball because I hit the right bumper instead of the left. I've heard the secret achievement is similar to that, but won't say it because of spoilers.

Anyone downloaded any rosters yet? Have heard there's a glitch in some of the files that if you re-edit them, it freezes your system, depending who you download them from at EA Locker.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

In case you haven't heard of him, this guy is one of the funniest people on the net when it comes to game reviews. I check him every Wednesday for his new video.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Favs include his reviews of Halo 3, GTA 4, MGS 4 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the subsequent attack on those that attacked him for said review.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Anyone get involved in an online dynasty in NCAA 09 yet?

Just wondering how it is? I haven't taken the plunge yet.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Apparently, watch out for problems, Hank. Don't have the game yet, but people are already bitching.

http://kotaku.com/5026972/ncaa-football-09-has-a-shitload-of-problems

9. Hank_Scorpio

Yea, those are the same problems I have heard about as well.

Supposedly a patch for the roster glitch is due in 5-10 days.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

ncaa for the wii blows

i've been debating getting a 360 or ps3 for ncaa and rock band. we'll see. heard great things about mlb 08: the show, too.

also, sony said the 80 gig ps3 is going down to $400 -- are they going to do anything with the 40 gig (or whatever the other one is) or just discontinue it?

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Nah Hoops, they're just discontinuing the 40 GB models. $400 is pretty tempting though. As for Rock Band, I suggest waiting until October and getting Guitar Hero World Tour for the Wii. Downloadable content, wireless drums and guitar, all the features of the 360 and PS3 versions. If you can't wait that long they yeah, get a new console and get Rock Band.

Oh, and they announced last week that Rock Band controllers will work for GH World Tour. Too bad it doesn't work the other way around as well.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Perhaps you're discussing specifically of those two games, but I've played RB on my 360 with GH controllers.

Draft saved Draft deleted