1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington or Boston

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Nov 25, 2008.

?

Which city would be more fun (and less expensive) to spend a weekend?

1. Washington, DC

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Boston

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is. I've been there a number of times. There are restaurants and there's shopping on one level.

[/quote]

The architecture is pretty cool, too. And it's close to touristy stuff.

2. Rotaries.
    They're wicked awesome.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The rotaries in the U.K. make the ones in the state look like picnics.

4. Yeah, but Fred Lynn specifically cited the Rte 2 rotary as one reason he signed with the Angels.

5. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

I was talking about the gameday experience. I grew up going to Redskins games at RFK in the 80s. It was incredible. I've been to FedEx Field three times and will never go back. It's just not worth nine hours of my life to fight my way into the parking lot (and I'm considered lucky to have access to "good" parking) sit in a soul-less tin bowl and be bombarded by commericals between plays, and spend at least two hours getting out of there afterward.

While Gillette Stadium is nicer, the parking and traffic are almost as bad. But Baltimore -- right downtown, walking distance from the bars in Federal Hill, and a nice stadium with incredible replay screens -- is a great environment to watch an NFL game.

6. Grew up in Maine so I've been to Boston a few times...loved going to see the Red Sox and walking around, but the sights in DC are much more impressive. I live in Arlington now with a view of the Washington Monument and the Pentagon, and I work next to the Capitol. I'd say visit DC, but definitely take the train. You'll enjoy yourself not worrying about your car. The food is great too. If you like Chinese, go to China Town (which is near Fords Theater so you can visit there too) and check out Wok and Roll.

And good thinking on the April visit. The cherry blossoms are very nice. The tidal basin is the obligatory site to see them, but it's usually packed. I recommend walking down by river near the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I took one of those bus tours and I think they said Union Station was on the biggest attractions in D.C. I bought my ticket in Arlington about 3 p.m.ish and it was good for the rest of that day and all the next day for something like $30. You can hop on and off whenever you want to see something. It's really good for seeing the Smithsonian because it's so spread out and parking is a bitch. Arlington is a must-see as well. The Kennedy graves were a bit of a disappointment but some of the other stuff as well as the story behind it is great. I'd highly recommend taking that bus tour. It stops at all the major attractions and they give you a history of the city to boot. I wish I had went to FBI headquarters and fired a real machine gun.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

wicked pissah too.

If you pick Boston let us know.

I suggest take the Tobin, head ova to the Newbridge for some steak tips, turkey tips and antipasto......if it's durin' tha summah.....go grab a slush at Richie's on the Pahkway for dessert.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He also didn't mention that the trip was my Christmas gift to him, including the hockey game with F_B. Gimme my props!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Forget Boston or D.C., why don't you split it down the middle?

[​IMG]

If you do, you win an all expenses not paid trip to ...

[​IMG]

PERTH AMBOY, NEW JERSEY!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Can I recommend...

[​IMG]

HAYWARD, WISCONSIN!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

People voluntarily go to Wisconsin?

Draft saved Draft deleted