1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MacGruber (explosion)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, May 19, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The nice thing about $10 movie tickets, makes it easy to figure out how many people went to see a movie. $100 million, equals 10 million.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What does this say for future SNL movies? Magruber was the first one in 10 years. If people are still tired of them after all these years...
    I wish "Machete" would get moved up from Labor Day to take advantage of the Arizona controversy and Lindsay Lohan's current problems.

3. DanOregon

The only SNL movie I could see making any money would be something starting Timberlake and Samburg as the "dick in the box" guys.
    A completely vulgar musical would be great.

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

Given what we've seen with MacGruber, is it possible that the SNL stigma is enough to kill a good box office run? The reviews weren't bad, most people I've talked to liked it, but nearly all the coverage I read going up to release was about how SNL movies fail and could MacGruber change that.

Granted, that is the obvious story choice, but still.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I first heard of this movie, I thought it would be quite possibly the worst SNL skit turned into a movie in history and if anyone has seen "It's Pat" that's saying something.

From what I've heard, the movie is more a spoof on 80s action films and just happens to have the MacGruber character as the "hero". In hindsight, they probably would have been better off changing the name of the movie and marketing it like it was "Scary Movie" or those other spoof films that usually do decent at the box office.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"Stupid Movie"

(By the way, does anyone else think the A-Team movie will tank just as badly?)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think A-Team will do much better. That said, I thought MacGruber would make $75 mil, and it will be lucky to break $15 million. So what do I know? :)

8. DanOregon

I've been surprised by the amount of press McGruber got. Not many $11 million films that are take-offs of only moderately popular characters on a declining show would get the amount of press this movie received.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't imagine anyone actually did see "It's Pat."

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

Saw it when it came out on VHS! Liked Dave Foley.

A-Team must make $100 million for the sole reason they shoot down an F-16 with a machine gun on a tank that's parachuting through the sky.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was lukewarm on A-Team till I saw that. Now that's over-the-top-crap I can get behind!

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That's about it. It's a different era now. People don't really buy that many DVDs anymore. If anything, I'll be willing to bet the screener for MacGruber will be leaked in a desperate attempt to generate some buzz.

Draft saved Draft deleted