1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 20, 2009.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Same here. This second half is focusing on more music numbers, more teen drama and less dialogue. I continue to watch because The Missus loves it, but I'm not as interested as I was.

If they had more Mike O'Malley and Jane Lynch and one or two less songs (to go back to the two or three per episode they had in the first half of the season) I feel like it'd be golden.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This. :D :D

The first ep back was subpar to me, and since then it's almost become like Entourage for me. I watched it...because I'd been watching it. If Glee disappeared from TV, I'm not sure I'd notice for a week or two. It's not the appointment TV it once was for me, and I have no idea why. Maybe it was the long break, maybe it's something else. I don't know.

3. Have to agree with you, along with the comments on the speech by Kurt's dad. At this point, Kurt and the storylines surrounding him are the only compelling part of the show, along with Jane Lynch, and they cut her out of last night's show completely. All other storylines have either been thrown out the window, dismissed completely, or seem like they are put together on the fly and wrapped up before the episode is over. It's just not as good as it was early on, which doesn't speak too well of it's staying power.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that the story lines and Jane Lynch are what make the show special and they had strayed from that in recent shows. This week's was better -- despite no Cheerios.

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

If they spent the time to write in the witty dialogue they're capable of instead of having three-minute, dramatic songs to each other about every issue, it might help move things along a bit better.

6. the dialogue doesn't sell on Itunes

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

Exactly.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

From reading spoilers online, there will be a lot more of Jane Lynch and her shenanigans in the final two eps. I'm thinking that due to her Broadway schedule, she may not have been as available for all the shooting in the final nine eps the way she was in the first 13.

The lack of continuity does bother me but I'm thinking that once they do all the writing and shooting of the eps at the same time next season, it'll be much smoother than this season.

I think we have the perfect amount of Mike O'Malley in the show. If he was on anymore, his scenes wouldn't be near as poignant than they are now. I agree that the Emmy committee needs to throw him a guest star nod next season. He's been absolutely terrific.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Good gracious, it's the music that makes the show special.
    Otherwise, it's just a well-cast high school comedy/drama.
    A show that has Idina Menzel, Kristin Chenowith, Neil-Patrick Harris, Matthew Morrison and Lea Michele belting out songs every week and you're complaining there's too much music?
    Ugh.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My dumb ass just found out yesterday that Chenowith and Sean Hayes are doing Promises, Promises on B'way now. OK, so I've been out of touch. Planning a lightning trip later this summer and that's on the list. I wonder if it is any good? Actually, I don't much care. I just want to see those two.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I definitely get the sense the show is emptying its holster in a hurry, which is fine by me. I can't see a show about a HS glee club lasting five years anyway. It'll probably burn out fast like Boston Public and not even make it to 100 episodes.

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

I think there's too much music - compared to the first half of the season. In the first run of episodes, they must've had three numbers a show. Worked great.

Now they have five or six because Puck needs to sing a song to Quinn about what he wants her to name her baby.

I'm not saying using song as a method to communicate or share feelings is bad or wrong, or that musical numbers aren't needed at all. I like them and I agree that they're what sets the show apart. I just don't think they need one or two songs between every commercial break.

Draft saved Draft deleted