1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The pilot wasn't supposed to serve that purpose - it was always intended to be Jack who died in the pilot episode, until the execs stepped in.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, that's what I meant. The idea was to spend the first episode setting up the archetype hero guy and then kill him as the twist.

And DD, good perspective. One of my friends summed it up best: the finale was emotionally satisfying but intellectually unsatisfying.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DD, not being a wise-ass, but how would you have ended it?

I am very happy with the ending. Would I have liked a Smokey dies, and at that instant they are back on the plane and the Sideways world starts to come to life with everyone realizing that Sideways is now the new reality? Possibly.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I would have preferred the finale been a long explanation of the rules and show more about the battle between Jacob and MIB but I'm OK with the way things went.

We didn't get answers to every question but, hey, at least I don't feel like the writers cheated me out of a good ending. That's what I was most concerned about this season.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I get where DD is coming from. I loved the way things ended on the island but the whole sideways world as purgatory didn't do much for me.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would have liked for the entire final season to go in a much more scientific, intellectual direction, much like the fifth season. But it would have been weird for the sixth season to take a science-y swerve in the final episode.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If anyone here needs to explain the show to a loved one who has never seen it, boom, here ya go:

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

With a couple of days of reflection, my thought is that the final was actually pretty good with respect to Jack, Locke, MIB, and Jacob, but I feel cheated with respect to so much about the Island, Dharma, the Others, the hatches, Walt, fertility, etc.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

From what I understand - and this is such a cop-out money-grab - lots of questions will be answered in DVD bonus features. Including the aforementioned epilogue with Hurley and Ben. Sure, most fans will be buying the DVDs anyway, but come on.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not getting my hopes up. They've lost some credibility on the "this is when you'll get answers" front.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

see, that's just not a fair question. my wife and i have been arguing about this all week. she has been asking me the same question and i don't have an answer for her. i really don't know how i would've ended it if i was in charge. you just can't analyze a TV show that way.

i wasn't satisfied with the finale. i think what made it most unsatisfying was (a) christian saying to jack that these are the people you spent the most important time of your life with at the same time we realized that jack and everyone else was dead and (b) as webster and many others have said, we still didn't get enough answers to the factual questions here.

i also agree with sepinwall's blog about it. if you care about characters, you loved the finale because basically everyone ended up happily ever after. me? i usually care about characters in a TV show but with this show i wanted to know the facts of the island, and was less interested in the relationships and the characters' lives.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own perspective, but one of the things I enjoyed about the show is that it could be appreciated and digested on several levels. The mythology, the characters, a little of this, a little of that. Not a surprise that people have different takes on the finale, like a good book, heck like THE Good Book, people will debate about what it "means" for some time.

Draft saved Draft deleted