1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Williams Fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He is the house terrier, not the yard one.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Yeah, my bad. I was thinking PBS when I wrote that.

3. clutchcargo

NPR says it is all for free speech and diversity, which I presume encompasses opinion as well as gender, ethnicity and religion, but obviously that is not the case. Shame on NPR. Hypocrites.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The idea that NPR is some bastion of objectivity is ridiculous.

5. clutchcargo

Doesn't George Soros put a chunk of cash into NPR? He's about as liberal as you can get.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So do many corporations such as Monsanto, Merck, Archer Daniels Midland and Walmart that are far from liberal. Lockheed Martin, a major defense contractor, is also a bigtime underwriter.

A study of 2005 found national NPR shows had hosted more conservative pundits than liberal ones, by about a two-to-one clip.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, Ink, stop throwing those darn facts into the mix.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Please don't come back. Pretty please.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Williams should not have been fired, in the most recent instance. Sanchez should have been let go
    well before the recent unpleasantness, for broad incompetence.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think NPR drew the line with it's people injecting their own personal biases into what they said. You can say that you think Obama has lost touch with independent voters due to X, that's part of your job and expertise. You want to go on Fox and say Michelle Obama has a Stokely Carmichael thing going or that you are afraid of Muslims and it really doesn't tie in to the kind of news analysis that NPR wants to be associated with. The former informs the viewer and provides insight, the latter really doesn't explain anything to the audience.

11. Best In Show.

If millions of Americans really do agree with Williams' shockingly inane premise, then we're even more ignorant than Bill Maher charges.

I know most of us can't find Louisiana on a map, and that might be pretty funny, but comprehending an increasingly interconnected world might help us avoid future debacles such as hurling our best young people into somebody else's civil war in Iraq.

Does anyone know of - sorry for capitals - ANY airplane or train attack during which the attacker wore Muslim garb?

I don't agree with NPR, but I suppose you could make a case it could fire him simply for mind-blowing inanity.

Of course, then it might start an Inanity Derby, which could feature many a horse . . .

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Maher:
    Juan Williams, the black guy with the Latino name who bashes Muslims to please the white guy.

If Jim DeMint wants to defund NPR think he;ll run it off the air, let him. Kind of like the Grinch thinking he could stop Christmas from coming because he stole the tree, the presents and the roast beast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.