1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

We also watched Days of Future Past last night. I enjoyed it as an X-Men fan, but for whatever reason, the pacing of the mutant movies always seem choppy. It reminded me why I liked Guardians of the Galaxy so much - the pacing of that movie was much more comparable to the original Star Wars trilogy.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pacing was definitely one area where Guardians was better than Days of Future Past. Overall, it was just more fun.

Days of Future Past had some outstanding character moments and did a great job of rendering the characters' powers. Quicksilver got most of the attention, and for good reason because his action sequence is outstanding, but Blink was also very cool.

That said, it is Guardians I want to see again. It is on Redbox, but not the ones closest to me. I'll probably be tracking it down to show my wife and daughter next weekend. Even though she hasn't seen the full movie, my little one already loves Groot.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Blink was very cool, and I loved the look of the Sentinels going through her warp portals. Guardians and Captain America are next on my list. Wife wants to see Guardians, but doesn't care about Cap, so I'll probably end up checking out Guardians sooner.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mrs. OOP saw The Winter Soldier with me in the theater and said she liked it, but I think she will like Guardians better. It is more accessible to people who aren't fans of the comics and has a lot more humor to it. The one downside is a good deal of technobabble, which I can imagine some people finding annoying.

I'm nitpicking in both cases. I highly recommend both movies.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Watched a little movie on cable called God's Pocket. Stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a small-time crook, married to Christina Hendricks' breasts, and who has to, well, let's just say overcome some obstacles after his stepson is murdered.

I really, really enjoyed it. Great acting, fun story, wonderful pacing...and Richard Jenkins plays the most ridiculously sterotyped newspaper columnist ever portrayed on screen.

Oh, and it's written and directed by Mad Men's John Slattery.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

The Young in Heart (1938).

The reason for viewing the film was because my favorite automobile of all time makes an appearance.

The Phantom Corsair.

Given the plastic and fiberglass shittastic boxes most of us drive today, we have clearly "forgotten the face of our father."

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Interstellar.

Pretty much enjoyed it but was left with a slightly disappointed feeling; as a science geek, I could have used more physics talk. But the story was a good one, and the acting was quite enjoyable.

As far as the cinematography and the scenery and the effects go...not only does Gravity blow it out of the water...but so too does Tom Cruise's Oblivion. And the visual references to 2001: Space Odyssey are a bit heavy-handed.

I might sound more negative than I'm feeling...it's worth seeing. But there's no need to spend the extra bucks to see it in IMAX.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have disliked 'Interstellar' more over time.
    I liked the first two acts and hated the third, but the more I have ruminated on it, the more I've realized that the Moebius strip time trick of the third act ruined the first two acts.

9. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Went into Unbroken with pretty high expectations. I shouldn't have.
    Unbroken is a broken film that fails in its intent to emotionally inspire because it omitted what should've been its climax. Big letdown.
    Unbroken might be great as a made-for-TV afternoon special, but as a feature film, it did not live up to expectations.
    Angelina Jolie's attention to detail was severely lacking in Unbroken, which ruined a well-intentioned movie that failed to evoke emotion.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Wow - "failed to provoke emotion" is not at all what I would have expected. I cried pretty much through the entire book. It hasn't had nearly the pre-opening buzz (about the movie, not Angelina) I thought it would, so I imagine you're right.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I noticed the Rotten Tomatoes critic score for Unbroken is only 52%. I'm rethinking what my Christmas Day movie choice will be.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Gambler comes out on Xmas day, right? If we go, we'll be seeing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted