1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Won" is a very very odd description. The guy had to take it to federal court and fight it for years, and in the meantime he was kicked out of the school and the school refused to hear his appeal.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...-against-male-student-who-sued-under-title-ix

If you're that blase about innocent people suffering those kinds of penalties for the greater good, I think we just have a gap in logic here that can't be bridged.

BTW -- to the question about whether the extreme feminist portion of the debate is taking control, consider that the dismissal motion included the reasoning that "additional information became available which both parties believe raises questions about the impartiality of the college judiciary committee panel that heard John’s case."

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You're right. That totally outweighs the millions of rape victims who suffer in silence because they rightly believe they won't be heard or believed, and probably slut-shamed on the way out.

On that note, I'm done.

3. If I received a penny for every time ... never mind.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Start a thread:RAPE IS BAD and everyone will agree.
    What RS and this journalist did was tell a fable but called it news, called it truth and called it journalism. When it turned into fiction the defense was that important ascpect of the fable is that rape is bad and if you disagree with the story, you like rape

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

For about 20 posts. Around the 21st, somebody will play devil's advocate.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"You said rape twice."

"I like rape."

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This girl was playing some serious mind games:

In the email, Jackie wrote about her romantic interest in a friend of hers named Ryan Duffin. Duffin was forwarded the email on Oct. 3, 2012 by a man named Haven Monahan, who Jackie claimed she was going out on a date with on the night she says she was raped.

“When you like someone more than he likes you, you’ll do anything to switch the scales,” Jackie wrote about Duffin.

It was Duffin who Jackie first called on the night she claims she was raped. Duffin, who showed up to help Jackie along with two other friends, has said that Jackie claimed that night that she was forced to perform oral sex on five men at a fraternity house.

That story changed drastically in the Rolling Stone article, published last month, in which she claimed she was brutally beaten and gang-raped by seven members of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/12/18/what-uva-student-jackie-wrote-in-email-about-friend-she-liked/

8. PW2

PW2 Member

We have been over this. Victims frequently forget minor details.

9. PW2

PW2 Member

Journalism question:

Is there a case to be made at this point for naming her already?

Under what circumstances did Crystal Mangum's name eventually start being used in the mainstream media?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a concern anymore. The name is out there within 15 seconds on Google, and I think the biggies know that and use it to deflect the whole question.

11. PW2

PW2 Member

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Rolling Stone has fucked up about four out of the five decisions it's made on this story. So that means RS got correct one out of five ... hey, wait a minute.

Draft saved Draft deleted