1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You won't be seeing "The Interview"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 17, 2014.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Would you not see it in theatres becasue you just don't like going to theatres? Or because of the possible threat? Or the $3-5 difference in theatres and VOD?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As of now, Sony has no plans to release it on DVD or VOD. That can obviously change, though.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the threat. The not liking theaters and the price difference are big. In my case and most similar, it would be a much bigger difference because it's $10 versus the cost of at least two people attending, as I'd probably have my son with me and possibly one of his friends, a relative etc.)

There are a lot of movies like that. I get excited about them when they're released, I don't get to go, and then they're gone forever. Maybe I'm too old to be the target market as RJ said, but there's a lot of revenue too in people like me who would love to keep up with the movie scene but aren't getting away from the family to keep up the pace of 2-3 movies a month that we used to enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

I hear you. I'm kinda the same way, though I'll often see movies by myself to curb the cost. Matinees here are around $7, so not too bad. Obviously, just the ones my wife has no interest in seeing. And the ones we're both interested in? We'll talk them up for weeks, then usually decide against it, citing the enourmous price tag involved. Like Interstellar. Really wanted to see it, but I just couldn't shell out $17 (matinee price!) to see it in IMAX. Which means I'll probably just never see it. Oh well. I love going to see movies, but I can usually wait until we can both watch it for $5.99 on demand.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If theaters hadn't gone the megaplex route in the building boom, I think we'd be far down that road already. But when the mall has 20 or 24 screens to fill, it would just kill that business as well as a lot of the other spots at that destination, many of which are subsidized by a local government that is in turn dependent on sales-tax revenue.

Shortly after we bought our HDTV, the Oscars (with Stewart hosting) ran a five-minute montage of things that supposedly could only truly be enjoyed on the big screen. My wife and I were blown away by how great all of it looked at home. We decided then that we'd probably never see a movie in the theaters again. That was like six or seven years ago. I don't think we've been to one together since then, and the only ones I've gone to have been with kids.

OK that's a tangent from Seth Rogen. But I do think it's more likely that I'll see this movie now than it was before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would have went and seen it in theaters.

Very much want to go see The Gambler, and American Sniper.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

We have a great discount theater that gets movie really, really quickly. It has Horrible Bosses 2 there now and I don't think that's even been out a month. That's not typical, but that sometimes happens around the holidays when they have to clear all the screens so the latest blockbuster can be on three screens.

I saw some theater in Texas was showing Team America World Police in place of The Interview. Maybe Kim Jong Un doesn't care as much since his daddy was the bad guy in that film.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was in a movie theater; has to be at least three years, maybe five.

10. JackReacher

I was about to post that I've probably seen between 10 and 12 movies at the theatre this year. Then, I went back and looked through a list of all movies released in 2014. Scrolling through, I said "Well, we wanted to see that, but..." nearly 20 times. Turns out, I saw just 5: Neighbors, 22 Jump Street, Into the Storm, Gone Girl, and Horrible Bosses 2.

I enjoyed all five.

11. bigpern23

I'd probably choose a different cause, but that idea's not half-bad. It's better than just eating the cost of the movie and never releasing it, and I could see it getting more eyeballs than it would have if it had been released under normal circumstances.

12. bigpern23

Draft saved Draft deleted