1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 17, 2014.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's usually the epitome of injury.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Do Nantz and Simms have an opt-out clause where they don't have to broadcast this one? When's the last time Nantz did a Jags game--the 20th century?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear how great some of these guys are.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Isn't there some kind of rule that each team has to play one game in prime time?

5. bigpern23

I think they all have to play one Thursday game, right?

6. RecoveringJournalist

I'm not sure. I know a couple teams (Bears, Cowboys) played two, granted, only one was in prime time. Packers and Seahawks also played twice on Thursdays.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  7. RecoveringJournalist

I think the Lions and Eagles were the only teams that didn't play a Thursday "night" game, but both played on Thanksgiving.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"You're looking LIVE at EverBank Field in Jacksonville, Florida........"

[​IMG]

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll never know why they don't move them out of this wretched hellhole.

10. bigpern23

Yeah, I think the rule is simply that they must play at least one Thursday game. Doesn't have to be a night game. Keeps the scheduling equitable and boosts Thursday ratings by making sure it's not all just games scheduled between the cellar dwellers.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All right -- I don't know if this is the team trying to muddy the waters and find a bidder, or if people are just wrong or what, but now there's a train of thought that getting rid of Cutler would NOT destroy the Bears' salary cap. Shutdown Corner is just a blog aggregator, but it quotes OverTheCap.com (don't know what their credibility level is) saying he would only be $4 million in dead money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...5-landing-spots-for-jay-cutler-144721467.html

Is there anything to this? We've heard before how much guaranteed money a guy has coming -- Donovan McNabb in Washington was supposed to have $40M guaranteed, but when they cut him a year later I don't think his total take ended up being even a third of that.

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The cap hit Shutdown Corner refers to, is how much it would be if the Bears trade Cutler, rather than just release him.

If the Bears do trade Cutler, though, I suspect the Bears will have to agree to pay part of the salary.

There is a difference between fully guaranteed money and "guaranteed for injury only," but I don't know if that applied to McNabb. With Cutler, the money he's due in 2015 is fully guaranteed.

Draft saved Draft deleted