1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You won't be seeing "The Interview"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 17, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree this is a great idea; damn shame that the studio has kowtowed to terrorists, esp. North Korea.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wanted to hate-watch that movie.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not particularly aimed at you qt, but I wonder how many of the people calling Sony a bunch of cowards right now would be ripping the shit out of the company if even one incident like Aurora happened after the release. My bet is it would be a large percentage. I don't think the theaters or Sony had a choice. They couldn't risk having blood on their hands.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Sony is the one that deserves to be called cowardly. It made a business decision that it didn't make sense to release the film if all five of the big theater chains pulled out.

My big question is who needs the other more, the movie studios or the theater chains? How and when Sony decides to eventually release this movie might give us an answer.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I posted this on the Sony Hack thread, but it probably should be here:

So, apparently, Sony will receive $95 million in insurance money if it never releases the film, hence no DVD or VOD plans. I know pre-release buzz among critics has not been good. Any chance Sony was worried it was going to flop and using this episode as an excuse so it can collect the $95 million? The film cost only $44 million to make, so the $95 million might be a nice windfall if Sony thought it was going to crater at the box office.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm stalking you, pern.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I might've gone to see it.
    I really enjoyed 'This is the End,' and we saw that in the theater.
    I loved 'Pineapple Express,' but we saw that on DVD.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Bummer for Gary, Ind.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They get it if the release goes wide. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted