1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 20, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does anyone who listens to this watch The First 48 on A&E?

I think watching that sort of prepares you for how little real evidence people get convicted of murder with. I also don't feel bad if he stays in jail. I'm not buying everything he says (loaned out my car and my new phone for no good reason).

Has she mentioned at all about Yahoo's ability (or whatever email server he used) to check to see if he logged into his account or sent an email or opened an email on this afternoon in question?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I agree with your criticism of the defense, Amy. I think a lot listeners probably think the same way.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Errrrrgggghhhhhh!

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I could listen to another dozen episodes. That was a fascinating experience. I'm really curious about what they are going to do with season 2. Preparation for season 1 took more than a year, correct? Koenig said season 2 will premier sometime in 2015. They'd better get to work!

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Interesting. But unsatisfying.

This shows why you don't publish all your reporting while you're still doing it.

I realize this is a different medium than normal "reporting," in that the reporting was the story, rather than the story being the story. I'm sure I will listen to Season 2, but I still can't help feeling a little jilted, like I invested all this time in a payoff that never came.

6. JackReacher

What did you think was going to happen? Did you think she'd unearth these critical pieces of evidence that would make it crystal clear what happened? Did you think Adnan would admit guilt?

If you feel jilted, that's on you.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Innocence Project theory that the random serial killer did it doesn't work given what Jay knew.

And while they gave an alternative explanation for the timing of the Nisha call, it isn't clear that he would have been billed for the no-answer call.

I'm more cynical than Koenig and my gut says he did it, but I agree that there is no way that he should have been found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Innocence Project thing was crap. "Big picture!" isn't really a solid response to evidence that shows your theory is full of shit.

I think Adnan did it, and the final episode really helped seal that for me. Not sure I'm solid enough on that to go with a conviction if I were on the jury... but I might be.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

When I started listening I expected there would be some sort of resolution like any story telling endeavor.

However, after I got a few episodes in and fully understood the nature of the story, I realized a resolution was unlikely (as I stated here with my own post that I quoted).

But I kept listening, because I was so far into it, to give Koenig the benefit of the doubt. In fact, one of the replies to my initial post here told me to do just that.

Oh well

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted