1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: San Juan Del Sur

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 25, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That would have been a crime if Jaclyn had won. I wondered if Natalie's comment that she thought she could win was selective editing or taken out of context. There's part of me that would be surprised she would just make a statement like that without qualifying it with, "I think anybody here can win."

I don't think Baylor was much of a threat to win, but it would have been interesting if Missy had made some plea to the jury to give her daughter the money. I don't think it would have worked, but I don't think Natalie wanted to take a chance. She already knew that no matter what, two votes wouldn't be coming her way. Was Keith the only other person not to vote for her? I was surprised he was whiny about her lying to him.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Very good ending to a very mediocre season. I thought Natalie made a brilliant move at tribal when she asked Jaclyn if she voted for who Natalie had instructed her to vote for, and then blindsided Baylor. First, it was one of the better blindsides I've seen. Secondly, it was a great way to illustrate how much control she had in the game right in front of the jury.

That said, I thought Natalie might get voted out after that because she had a hand in the ouster of the loved ones of Missy, Jaclyn and Keith. I wondered if they would all take the opportunity to get a little revenge. I'm surprised they didn't realize that she was going to win if she made it to the final tribal.

Natalie's speech was arguably the least convincing of the three, but I think her gameplay kind of spoke for itself. Reed's speech was, indeed, the best since Sue Hawk's. The wife and I couldn't stop laughing every time they showed dopey Alec sitting with his mouth hanging open.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Probst should never go into the audience. The teen who created the challenge was nice, but the rest sucked.

Why did he seem so surprised that Keith had a wife? She looked exactly what I would imagine Keith's wife would look like. And the little girl with the rice, showing way more food than most people eat for comparison, the dopes saying they watch every episode and the white, blue and free collars were all a waste.

Someone other than Probst needs to do the reunion. I would have liked to hear Val asked why she lied about having two idols and Rocker's GF asked why she quit. I also would have asked the Twinnies what it was like going from being disliked on TAR to most everyone pulling for Natalie to win.

Like others, loved Reed's spot-on speech, even if it seemed a little rehearsed, and I'm happy for a worthy winner.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Totally disagree on someone else hosting the reunion. Probst is really good at this sort of thing. Some of the audience stuff sucks, but it's just a way to involve fans of the show. I can forgive the 2 minutes it takes.

I don't care nearly enough about Val or Julie to hear them talk at the reunion. Your question to Nadiya and Natalie would have been a good one, though.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I missed them on The Amazing Race. Why were they disliked and how did they finish?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

the dude had shots all season like that, staring blankly with mouth agape
    i wanted a montage and probst to ask him about it

i also wanted probst to ask jaclyn if she and jon will never have kids because she didnt win

7. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

They appeared twice on TAR. In season 21, they finished in 4th place and they were the first team eliminated in All-Stars (season 27).

The reason most people dislike them is they constantly argue with one another and never shut up.

8. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

The three players who didn't vote for Natalie to win were:

1. Baylor voted for her mother (Missy)
    2. Jon for his girl friend (Jaclyn)
    3. Reed voted for Jaclyn.

From what I've read, the jurors talked amongst themselves before the final tribal council and Reed knew Natalie would win. Reed voted for Jaclyn to deny Missy a 2nd place tie. Also Jaclyn gets more prize money for being the sole 2nd place winner and Reed felt her 'cause' was more worthy.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

Good stuff... I thought I'd read that the two jury "losers" both get the $100K, but I think they do get additional money based on how they placed.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

They never shut up, they said incredibly ignorant things and were generally unlikeable. Even calling themselves "twinnies" was annoying. Their worst offense, though, was picking up money dropped by another team and keeping it.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Interesting. I found Natalie very likeable on Survivor this season. Smart player who made the moves necessary to win without being a nightmare to the others.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I didn't like Natalie at first, but she grew on me.
    And she was clearly the best player at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted