1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Stop getting hung up on whether they got one in five things right or one in 100. There's no real difference.

2. PW2

PW2 Member

Nice blueprint for squeezing some more work out of Rolling Stone, though, if one ever freelances a piece for them.

I guess it's not impossible that she's doing this on her own, either.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Put her on the list with Janet Cooke, Jason Blair and Stephen Glass

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, I can think of two schools with high-profile rape allegations in the past year. I'm sure there are others. So if you're RS shopping around schools to use as a "sexy" rape setting and not caring much about accuracy, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't latch onto one of the schools already in the news for this issue.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

^^^You can have your pick of the 50 or so schools who allegedly mishandled sexual assault complaints now under investigation by the Justice Department.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

8. PW2

PW2 Member

Let's not forget that a Columbia prof already aligned herself with Team JayFarrar and told the NYT that Rolling Stone's mistakes were no thang.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Go Team Jay.

I'm at the point, given everything that's come out, is the Rolling Stone writer fabricated most everything in the story. The only question, to me, is how much. My best guess is that it is in 90s and not a complete fabrication but she faked notes, transcripts and maybe coached people on how to beat the fact checkers.

A thorough investigation of her work will show that this wasn't the first time she's faked stuff either. She'll end up working for some advocacy group and won't write professionally again.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Pity the same can't be said for the dirtbag editors and that rancid rag, Rolling Stone.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not sure what the lead time is for Doonesbury's Sunday comic, but this one looks to be outdated:

[​IMG]

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted