1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Assault on ‘Broken Windows’ Policing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 19, 2014.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I wanted a group of thugs to show up at my office building in the middle of the night with a box of spray paint, I'd put out a sign that says, "Please paint me."

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This.

A discussion with someone on the cops' side of this argument always seems to include some sort of a line like this... "Sure, there are some bad cops out there."

But when one is actually caught doing something "bad," the default is always to defend them.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No one wants bad cops.

But, an accused cop deserves the same presumption of innocence that anyone else does. And, if you want to convict them of something, there needs to be evidence, not a narrative.

Now, should police departments take steps to identify, and fire, bad cops? Absolutely.

Boom_70 likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Thank you for immediately illustrating the point I was making.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, accused cops should absolutely be scrutinized in ways the rest of us aren't.

When a cop gets accused, it means that peoples' constitutional rights have potentially been violated. That is a different level of serious. When people are blase about that happening or potentially happening, it's the same as not respecting that you have those rights.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The head of the police union in NYC has been attacking Mayor De Blasio in recent days, apparently fearing that (unlike the two mayors before him) De Blasio will try to hold cops to higher standards.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bad cops, like bad teachers, are very difficult to cut loose.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the PBA has been working on expired contract so has always been the case with NYC Uniformed services there is a lot of posturing going on.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    cranberry likes this.
  9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Is this the thread in which discussion of today's double-murder of cops in Bed-Stuy should be discussed? (Bratton called the act assassination). Apparently the gunman's motive included seeking out "pigs" in response to the Garner incident. Also shot his ex-gf in Baltimore and killed himself after the cop killing.

10. Boom_70

"City Council President Melissa Mark-Viverito and Mayor Bill de Blasio were less than welcome guests at the poignant gathering.

“We’re all in this together,” the mayor told grieving cops, according to a cop who was there.

“No we’re not,” one officer said tersely in response."

11. Boom_70

SBA @SBANYPD
    The blood of 2 executed police officers is on the hands of Mayor de Blasio. May God bless their families and may they rest in peace.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Having not followed the case and not seeing any reference in the story linked, what is the mayor's role? I know he is not welcome at the funerals, but what is the SBA's issue?

Draft saved Draft deleted