1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 17, 2014.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"Hey, this is John from Reston. I'm sick and tired of all these people bashing Kirk Cousins. That guy threw for like 400 yards against the Eagles last time we played them and he's still stuck behind RGKNEE!!!! on the depth chart. I really think Kirk can lead us to the promised land, fellas. He just need a chance! HTTR!!"

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

My bet on who would trade for Cutler...

J-E-T-S.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10,000 flags to be handed out Sunday by the Fire Idzik group

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Like! @woodyjohnson

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So by my math, Ken Wisenhunt is 3-24 with the Cardinals and the Titans.

Epic.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Alright. I needed a few days to recover from the latest Cutler news. But I think I have my feet under me now.

Only an organization this inept could somehow make Cutler look sympathetic and mature. This is Trestman's frustration boiling over into doing something dumb, no more or less. Jay Cutler has taken a big step back this year as a quarterback, but he's still light-years better than Jimmy freakin' Clausen and everyone knows it. And the way the whole thing has been handled, from Kromer to the benching, has just been total clownshoes and it's probably going to get GM Emery fired too.

Where do they go from here? I guess that's up to the next set of football guys they hire to run the team. Does it suck paying the 18th best QB in the league top-flight money? Yes. But I don't see how it's any better to be taking a $20m dead-money cap hit to ship him out of town and hope to get the 25th-best QB in free agency.

People seem to think there's a trade market and I just don't know how. Are they allowed to pick up money in a trade? That might make him palatable to somebody, but it would make it even worse for them to do it.

But I guess if the next coach/GM combo wants to, they can cut him, cut Marshall (he's legit washed up), go 2-14 next year and start trying to draft some foundational, long-term positions like OL, DL, LB. Positions where you can expect a guy you draft to fill a hole for a long, long time.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And almost won the Super Bowl with the Cards.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So, what they can do if they want to trade him, to make it more palatable for other teams, is convert some of his guaranteed salary to a signing bonus. That way the Bears would be on the hook for more of the actual money and take more of a cap hit than the other team.

EDIT: I phrased that poorly. They wouldn't take more of a hit than the other team, but the other team would take less of a cap hit than they would without the conversion, and the Bears would take more of a hit than they would without the conversion.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's an awful lot of money to shell out when they could just keep him one more year. Who else are they going to get to play QB in 2015?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Josh McCown should be available.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Keep Cutler one more year, fire the coach, fire the O-coordinator, invest in the oline this off season, tell new coach Cutler starts all 16 next season so no bullshit, if 2015 is a mess then we cut Cutler and keep new coach to start with a new QB.

Basically do what Washington should have done this season.

If want to know what not to do, look up 2014 Redskins online.

Draft saved Draft deleted