1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editors needed at the Gannett hub in Louisville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrettHait, Dec 2, 2014.

1. BrettHait

BrettHait New Member

Lots of new work is flowing into the Gannett design/editing studio in Louisville, and we need editors, especially those with sports chops. We're currently producing 22 papers per night, including the Indianapolis Star, Cincinnati Enquirer and Louisville Courier-Journal. If you have metro/daily experience and can lend a steady hand with news/feature copy, we'd like to hear from you. Design experience is not required.

To express interest, send an email and resume to me at bhait@gannett.com and Phil Krugel at pkrugel@gannett.com

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

22 papers per night? Wow. How many people are on the desk on a typical night?

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Three

I kid, I kid.

4. BrettHait

BrettHait New Member

Answer to your question: Many.
    I also should have added that we're located in the Courier-Journal building.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For some people, designing is the most rewarding part of the job.

6. BrettHait

BrettHait New Member

Thanks to everyone who emailed a resume. They've been forward to upper management. You'll hear from them if they're interested in speaking further.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What does Gannett pay these days for solid metro/daily experience? I'll hang up and listen.

8. bevo

bevo Member

Just a guess but I'd say the hub pays less than a metro. Of course, the going rate for copy editors at Gannett metros is around zero dollars seeing as there are none in the "Newsroom of the Future."

9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Ever-changing business. How rewarding is working in a hub for newspapers? You see less and less sports writers who lay out their own pages anymore. Team coaches titles instead of sports editors.

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

With the new design on sportsjournalists site, I upgraded with a fresh image.

11. BrettHait

BrettHait New Member

Riptide on Line 2, I feel comfortable in saying the pay is appropriate for those with metro/daily experience.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't know what the second part means, but I have worked on a centralized desk and was not a fan at all. As a sports copy editor, I am in an area where I enjoy the sports we cover, for the most part. I have little interest in regularly reading college hoops/NASCAR/etc. And outdoors stories from outside my area are just a bore. Local knowledge still should mean something, too.

You're flirting with banishment with that image, but I like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted