1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 20, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't normally read the comments but the person who's wrote "you don't have to shit on something just because it is popular" deserves a free beer at the bar.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Day 1, I'd imagine.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The morning sports show I listen to is on vacation next week, so I needed a podcast to get me through some drives. I wanted to see what the hype was all about so I started Serial today.
    It's not gonna last the weekend.
    I'm four episodes in an I'm convinced Jay did it or knew someone who did.
    I didn't read the whole thread because I was worried about spoilers, but this is terrific. I did read the NYT piece someone linked and didn't really understand Carr saying podcasting "used to be a novel way of distributing audio programming over the internet ..."
    I don't get what's so novel about it. I've been listening to podcasts since 2005 - I started with ESPN's Fantasy Focus shows, listened to some Lost podcasts, checked out Adam Carrolla when he started - and it's been a serious way to get shows out for quite some time. I don't think "Serial" is the first breakout hit and for Carr to say that shows how little he actually knows about it.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Well, it's kind of all relative. Every couple of years, it feels like a new podcast swells past the old popularity threshold set by a previous one. Gervais started it, got surpassed by Carolla at some point, and now I think more people listen to Nerdist and Marc Maron than him. Serial has probably set a new benchmark for a podcast's popularity that'll be surpassed in X years by Show Y.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Like the serial serial podcast like really I mean like really pissed me off. Like it it was, like what I'm trying to say is that you can really tell te differencw between someone who is experienced in radio style storytelling and someone who, like, gets some friends together and blab into a hot mic.

Like you know what I mean? Like. Like. Like. If you have listened to it you understand how the host says like six times every sentence.

They also seemed to be convinced that the show hasn't been journalism but if it isn't i don't know what it is.

Sometimes reading or hearing these hot takez makes me wonder if they heard the same show I did.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

If you didn't see SNL Saturday [/crossthread], it included a pretty spot-on parody of Serial:

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The "So it's mail ... kimp?" was my favorite part. Every time I listened to an episode, that mispronunciation always confounded me.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Had this downloaded for a couple of weeks. Driving back from SoCal to 5,280 and I drove the extra 100 miles tonight to listen to all 12 episodes today across the California/Nevada/Arizona/Utah/Colorado desert.

Expected ending but it certainly passed the time on the 700-plus miles today.

Liked it, didn't love it. Adnan likely did it. Couldn't convict him, but he did or had a HUGE role in it.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Don't know if Adnan did it, but there was no way he should have been convicted. And the juror saying his non-testimony being "huge" in the decision to convict — despite the judge's instructions that it should not be considered — pisses me off. That and the other juror's "that's how Muslim men treat their women" bullshit.

Along with a decision NOT to convict a local judge on several charges recently in my area, just underlines a long-held personal belief that juries are dumber than a box of dog shit.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You couldn't convict him based on hearing one, sympathetic side of the story.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted