1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Was there just not enough room for you, them and the home team stat keeper? Usually I never sat on the actual scoring table row and would sit behind them, either with a table or not. I figure they are the ones that help me out at the end of the game, I might as well help them out.
    That should be the ADs problem in seating people...not yours.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Scorebook lady at a now closed small school got real pissy once when I covered a game there. Kept asking me who I was with and why I wanted to see her book, trying her best to keep me from copying the lineups. And it wasn't just before tipoff, this was more than 10 minutes before the game started — before the refs had even showed up to sign the book.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I also thought it odd to be on the scoring table, but that's where the AD saved a spot, so there I sat. There was plenty of room for everyone, visiting team's stat was was just being a dick.

4. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

At the flagship school at my last stop, I'd show up 10-15 minutes before the girls game (everybody had doubleheaders) with plenty of room, usually on the visitors' side of the table, for every home game (this was a pretty long table). I'd go up for interviews between games, leaving everything on the table except for my notepad and recorder. Apparently visiting boys teams needed about 3-4 people to keep non-book stats, so I'd almost always get booted. Pretty sure my stuff was just placed on a chair off to the side of the home end (next to radio) a time or two. Either that, or the AD would make a production of moving me. It was odd, and I often looked like a damn fool juggling a scorebook, notepad and iPad. Guess I should've been a radio guy.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dear anti-dimwit coach: Thanks, after leaving a voicemail saying I could give you a call, leaving another voicemail a minute later leaving your number. Merry Christmas!!

6. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Not sure why this popped into my mind but there was a caller a few years back who insisted that because the kick holder's knee is down, the play should be over. He might've been calling in about a fake field goal or the holder bobbled the ball when trying to place it on the ground. I don't think I bothered to asked him if he thought that all field goals and extra points should never count then, but I do believe he wanted us to write an article about it.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of our schools got new bleachers a couple of years ago to replace an old wooden set. Much nicer, except someone measured wrong and they're about one row too big. The people at the scorer's table are actually sitting on the front row of bleachers, so they have to deal with everybody walking around them to get to their seats. It's awful. This school usually draws big crowds, so after sitting for a couple of hours during a girls-boys doubleheader your back hurts and you're pissed off because you're constantly getting jostled.
    If it's not a big crowd on the visitor's side I'll go sit up there with the rabble.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've sometimes wondered the same thing. I always figured there's a rule permitting it if the ball is kicked, but why are they allowed to run fakes when the holder has possession of the ball with a knee on the ground? Or does the holder have to have his knee up if it's a fake but is allowed to have it down to place the ball?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

http://en.allexperts.com/q/College-Football-2792/College-Fake-Field-Goal.htm

Thanks for the question. The reason is because of Rule 4-1-3(b, exception). This rule creates the exception to the ball being declared dead when a player's knee is down touching the ground. The exception applies only to the HOLDER when an offensive player kicks or simulates kicking the ball for a place kick (Field Goal). By rule the ball may be advanced, kicked or passed.
    If there is a kicker present, whether he kicks it or has a chance to kick it is not the test. The test is, is there a player in position to kick or simulate a kick. Thus, the holder may rise to gain possession of the muffed snap and return to the ground without being considered down if the "test" is met [a player in position to kick the ball.]

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Received wrestling results tonight. Coach used his cellphone to take a pic of his computer screen, then sent that to us. However, it was slightly blurry (but readable) no team score was listed, none of the weight classes were listed and one of the weight classes wasn't even included.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Dear AD protesting our Coach of the Year poll,

Yep, your guy won the fan vote. But he wasn't the reporters' choice. The poll and the media have yet to agree in the four seasons since the online poll was implemented.

If you want to complain, contact the sports editor. This was his idea, not mine. Sending irate e-mail to the reporters won't make a difference.

Thanks for telling us your coaches will no longer be submitting results -- and blocking your Twitter feed. Obviously, you're really doing a great job representing all your student-athletes.

costing kids scholarships daily,
    PaperDoll

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Sheeeeeeit.

Draft saved Draft deleted