1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Baseball HOF ballot released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Nov 24, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hate when people assume they know when Bonds started using. I understand the theory and it does make sense, but we don't know that he was clean before that.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Definitely before Ryan Braun started using. Somewhat.

3. outofplace

Thank you for trolling the thread, Riptide. I'm sure everybody else appreciates it, too.

4. Riptide

Well, Bonds is a good bit older. So he probably was juicing first.

5. outofplace

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Given that we all knew that, I can't imagine why else you might have brought it up.

6. Riptide

No problem, Chuckles. Carry on.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

50 ballot milestone, (actually 51) -- 8.9 percent of last year's vote. And we got our first no Pedro vote but not sure who it is yet.
    Through the 42 completely known ballots: Mussina and Raines are plus 5 votes, Schilling is plus 3, Piazza is plus one. Biggio is 0 and Bagwell is minus 3

98.0 - P. Martinez
    98.0 - R. Johnson
    88.2 - Smoltz
    84.3 - Biggio
    78.4 - Piazza
    ————————————
    70.6 - Bagwell
    68.6 - Raines
    56.9 - Schilling
    43.1 - Mussina
    39.2 - Bonds
    37.3 - Clemens
    25.5 - E. Martinez
    25.5 - Trammell
    17.6 - McGriff
    15.7 - Smith
    13.7 - Kent
    9.8 - McGwire
    9.8 - Sheffield
    7.8 - Walker
    ————————————-
    3.9 - Sosa
    2.0 - Garciaparra
    2.0 - Pete Rose (Write-In)

8. outofplace

No Pedro Martinez? Seems to be a high chance that it is another valiant defender of the Hall abusing his vote to ensure that nobody ever gets in unanimously.

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

"I have defended the importance of evidence with a maddening consistency on this site."

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The voters will have no one to blame but themselves when Biggio doesn't get in and they complain about ballot space. So far he picked up the two votes he needed from guys last year and went past the threshold with Olney and Henning abstaining. But of course, it's never that easy because so far two guys who voted for him last year aren't this year. And three first-time voters have announced their votes with one not voting for Biggio. So right now, if nobody else changes their vote, Biggio would be in right at 75 percent. Granted there are still some 500-plus ballots to be counted. But if a couple first timers don't vote for him or he loses some more carry-over, he's gonna miss by single digits.

I thought Morris getting bounced would clear up a lot of spots but those votes are apparently going to Musinna and Schilling, which makes sense as the next best pitchers on the ballot if you aren't voting Clemens for PED reasons, with Raines getting the most support for position players.

I know they don't like strategic voting but it would help their other candidates next year and in 2017 if Biggio was gone. He would be just like Morris this year and with Griffey as the only sure thing, people would have three open slots to split up among the holdovers, depending on how many are going to vote for Hoffman his first time.

11. outofplace

Please notice how I worded that. High chance, not definite. I'd love to hear his argument why Martinez is not a Hall of Famer. I can't see how it is a good one.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Do we know who didn't vote for Johnson? I can't imagine not voting for him or Pedro, but if I had to choose one, it would be Johnson.

Draft saved Draft deleted