1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Assault on ‘Broken Windows’ Policing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 19, 2014.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Whites made up only 45% of the NYC population in the 2010 census. White Republicans, much less so, I suspect. And a poll last month had De Blasio at a 49% approval rating. Not the landslide he got elected with but still pretty good.

He doesn't need the Post. He doesn't need Staten Island (though that would be nice for his national ambitions.) All he needs is for the city to not go down the toilet and another term is guaranteed.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That kind of analysis misses the point. First, there are no Republicans in New York. The standard American template doesn't apply to New York.

Second, it is not white versus black. New York has way more racial groups and special interests than that. And to be successful, you need to keep the peace. ... and importantly, not pander to one or two at the exclusion of others. You need to be Santa Claus -- hand out a little to each of the corrupt leaders of various racial groups and unions and special interests, while somehow maintaining some fiscal discipline. De Blasio has not done that.

For example, he has spent his first year in office antagonizing various hispanic leaders and doing stupid things PR wise -- for example, missing Herman Badillo's funeral a few weeks ago and getting photographed working out at a gym in Park Slope during it. I don't normally look at polls, but I do live here. And I will bet with near certainty that he is not polling particularly well with hispanics. He is certainly polling miserably poor with whites, who are by far the largest actual voting block when something spurs them to actually come out (there was nothing in 2012). All the people who didn't vote out of apathy are going to be driven to vote next time if he presides over a city that seems torn apart and he is seen as the polarizing force.

De Blasio's landslide was a landslide of attrition. The democrats control NYC by default. Unless you get a Dave Dinkins (whose mayorality, De Blasio is increasingly looking like he is going to mirror), you don't get successful candidates outside of the machine. It takes that level of screwing up the city for a Rudy Giuliani to actually get elected. Otherwise, the democratic primary is the real election in a year like 2012. De Blasio won that primary because he was the not-everyone-else candidate -- the small number of activate democrats who were actually engaged were disgusted that their choices were Christine Quinn and Anthony Weiner. It wasn't that New York was suddenly ready to embrace Al Sharpton. In fact, De Blasio kept him hidden during the primary and was relatively low key in his candidacy. To the handful of people enthused enough to vote, he won as the least disgusting of a bad lot. That is why there low turnout in the primary and low turnout in the general election. Joe Llohta got on the ballot with less than 35,000 votes in his primary and was outspent by a ridiculous amount in an election that wasn't going to be contested with or without the spending.

No, De Blasio doesn't need Staten Island. But I think you are operating under the impression that New York is a single entity, with Staten Island as an important outlier. Staten Island doesn't control much by way of NYC politics. It is Brooklyn and Queens -- working and middle class neighborhoods -- that De Blasio never had, and is going to lose if this is the tone of his mayorality. I can tell you that anecdotally. By and large, they most people aren't political. They just want relative order, low crime, clean streets. And this stuff destroys the perception of order -- not to mention that petty crime, grafitti, etc. ARE up (not De Blasio's fault, but still).

You are quoting approval ratings of 49 percent -- even before all of this? Nobody particularly liked Mike Bloomberg, but there were years where his approval ratings were well over 70 percent month after month.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey Ragu those poor cops probably only had GED's like Officer Eddie or else they would not have been assigned
    to a Bed- Sty squad car.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was also a cop killed in Florida early this morning. Suspect in custody.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I remember when the copd declared war after the outcasts from Cliven Bundy's camp killed two officers in Nevada.

6. Boom_70

This poor kid has more sense than that POS DeBlasio:

In an emotional posting on Facebook, the 13-year-old son of Officer Ramos, Jaden, captured the mood of many in the department and around the city.

“This is the worst day of my life,” he wrote. “Today I had to say bye to my father. He was their for me everyday of my life, he was the best father I could ask for. It’s horrible that someone gets shot dead just for being a police officer. Everyone says they hate cops but they are the people that they call for help.”

7. Boom_70

On Sunday, it emerged that Mr. Brinsley "might" have had mental health issues.

Ya think ?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

All I can say is, if some misguided people have decided this is the time to declare war on police, thank goodness we've made sure every American has guns. [/blue font of depression]

We're really not that far from the Gaza Strip, folks. The ruling class and their hired guns versus the rest of America, armed to the teeth with handguns and hatred.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Of course he had mental issues. Do you think that a narrative where a young politically aware black man who assassinated 2 cops to make a political and societal point would be promulgated?

He can't be allowed to have acted in concert with others or as a logical reaction to the 'kill the cops' mentality that has been present in the protests and riots since Ferguson.

MSNBC / NBC with Sharpton and Perry-Harris can't allow this to be anything but an aberration to be contrasted with the societal plot to kill the young black males into extinction

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Again, this isn't 1990, with a record high murder rate and the PBA can just cough to send shivers of fear through City Hall. Hispanics are going to turn out in droves... to elect a Republican? Yeah, law and order is important to working class voters but so is police brutality to minority voters. The days of politicians automatically having to slavishly defer to the cops in NYC is over.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That isn't the way it works in NYC. Again, it's not about republicans and democrats. There are no republicans in NYC. Mike Bloomberg was a lifelong democrat, who used his own money to take on the democratic machine. He got himself the Republican nomination which is usually available to just about anyone who wants it -- regardless of their politics. Just like Rudy Giuliani was on the liberal ticket, as a fusion candidate. There are the democrats in NYC. And then a bunch of other party lines on the ballot.

And it's not about slavishly deferring to the cops. It is about keeping the relative peace. If De Blasio's mayorality spirals downward from here, it might not require someone taking on the democrats from the outside. The NYC democrats have at least one case I remember of tossing one of their own overboard when he lost the soul of the city. When Abe Beame ran the city into the ground, it wasn't an outsider that did him in. He lost in his own primary to Ed Koch. It wasn't even close.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!

Draft saved Draft deleted