1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I still think Jost is a big problem on the Update desk, yeah. Through two years, Strong and Che have both shown flashes of being good, whereas with him, it's just been meh at best to me.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He seems like the kid who says something he thinks is funny, and then looks around to see if anyone is laughing.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Apparently, Jost was a favorite of Seth Meyers and Meyers tabbed him as his replacement.

Strong and Che would have been good together.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I thought the Update was the best its been all season. Every joke seemed to hit.
    I still think this is one of the best DVR shows around. You can usually tell 20 seconds into a skit how it's going to play out, so if it nosedives - like that stupid bit with the assembly line - just fastforward right through it.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Agree. In most cases I'm able to skip the ridiculously untalented musical act. Between that and commercials I'm already under an hour of viewing time.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Could not imagine not having the ability to FF through some of that stuff. I have discovered a few decent musical acts from SNL over the years, but most of them aren't my thing.

7. jr/shotglass

I'm still trying to recover from the St. Vincent appearance of last season.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Update has the potential for so many great things, but wasting so fucking much time tonight on Garth and Kat, which was never any fucking good in the first place, was the height of annoying. I put a stopwatch on it and they burned more than 4 minutes at the end of Update for nothing but cringe-worthy stupidity. I used to think Wiig was great, but she's just become this completely annoying one-trick pony. I have no idea why they hell they let her come back for cameos so often.

They could have written eight jokes off current events for that time and even if they were awful they'd have been better than fucking Garth and Kat.

But after the commercial, A Very Cuban Christmas, hosted by Gloria Estefan and Pitbull, was good. Kate McKinnon as Diana Nyad -- "Ninety miles of open ocean, you little bitch."

9. jr/shotglass

I just finished A Very Cuban Christmas, and can honestly say the only parts of this show I have enjoyed were the cold opening and -- gasp -- One Direction.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"I call this one Cat Stevens because he has a beautiful voice, and because he recently converted to hardcore Islam."

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

That Mike Meyers open was the highlight of the year. "Been there, done that. Smoked it, humped it, got it an Uber."

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Lorne must have gotten a sense of humor about Dr. Evil. I remember when the Austin Powers movies were coming out, he was not amused when Myers said he based Dr. Evil on Lorne.

Draft saved Draft deleted