1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In 2008, the Cardinals blocked a punt in overtime and recovered it for a touchdown to beat the Cowboys. That was the first time a blocked punt TD ended an overtime game.
    It was also a touchdown and not a safety, so yeah, that Dolphins-Vikings play was weird.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Packers-Lions cannot be a prime time game.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Odell Beckham is insane. He's like a cheat code.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Taking a calmer look at things, the officiating was still terrible in the Steelers-Chiefs game, with the taunting call against William Gay the worst of it. That said, the Steelers continue to play stupid football. Lousy call or not, Gay shouldn't have given the official the opportunity to make that mistake and Ramon Foster is an idiot for throwing another player's helmet, drawing a 15-yard penalty.

The Steelers still have to figure out how to stop a bubble screen and get the running game going again, but they have enough going for them to win a playoff game. I can't see them winning at New England or at Denver, not with that defense, but this is still a step forward.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Clausen showed more emotion after that hit than Cutler has his entire Bears career.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's not true. Cutler's done that exact same thing plenty of times.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that it's a bad call, but I'd be curious how many weeks back we would have to go to find an NFL Thread that doesn't have you complaining about the refs screwing the Steelers.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The road to the Super Bowl runs through New England, and unless a team figures out a way to stop Gronk without opening up the entire field to the rest of the team, then New England looks to be the favorite to win this thing on the AFC side.

Mr. Shazier, this is why you were drafted, son.

And Beckham is a monster. The 2015 Giants might surprise some people.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Cutler shows emotion all the time. But because The Narrative was established long ago, no one even bothers to pay attention. It's much easier to regurgitate what every other lazy person says. For instance, go back to his reactions during the playoff victory over the Seahawks. He was Brady-level fired up in that game, even though I'm sure he didn't care, right?

I heard one of the analysts on NFL Network talk about how well Cutler handled the press conferences after his benching. "If only he was like that in his other press conferences this year ... blah, blah, blah." Well, he has been. He's had plenty of opportunities to throw people under the bus during this lost season and he never did.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, Devil, did you see the Pats game today? The Jets damn near killed Brady, and New England's offense did precious little. They won because winning is a habit and so is losing.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably two. I'll point out crappy calls when I see them, but the last two weeks were egregious mistakes. I posted about the one against Atlanta because it is part of a larger problem in the NFL, the phantom roughing the passer calls. This week, the call was just that bad and I admit, I was pissed. To be fair, JC posted that it was an awful call before I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted