1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 17, 2014.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lynch was traded not released.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Recovering: The guys I was discussing were all let go early in their careers by their original teams, not guys who went to other teams after establishing themselves as Hall of Fame caliber players, which is much more common as you noted.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The lesson to be learned with Cutler is this: If you have a quarterback who can do some good things, but hasn't proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the long-term guy, you don't give him fully guaranteed money for more than one year in a new contract. Had the Bears simply made the 2014 salary a full guarantee, then "guaranteed for injury only" for the next two seasons, they would be in better position.

The Bengals did that with Andy Dalton. The Niners have done that with Colin Kaepernick. The Bears didn't do it with Cutler. Now they're in a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All those guys earned their HOF place with their first team. I'm looking for guys who earned HOF, or darn close to HOF, place after they were let go from one team.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what kind of contracts Cam Newton and Russell Wilson sign this off-season. I will bet they will more closely resemble what Cutler and Flacco signed than what Kaepernick and Dalton signed.

Cutler has a good agent. Kaepernick does not. I have no idea who Dalton's agent is.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Faulk did not earn HOF status with the Colts.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Somtimes guys aren't left for dead, but they're traded for whatever reason...

Faulk
    Favre
    Brees

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Brees wasn't traded

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good call, JC. They got two draft picks for him, and I don't think anybody saw him as "dead" as a player at that point. If I remember correctly, part of the reason the Bills wanted him gone was trouble off the field.
    Favre had barely been on the field for the Falcons and he was traded for a first-rond pick. It's not like Atlanta gave him away.

Oops. I think JC is right. Brees wasn't traded. The Chargers let him leave as a free agent.

Brees was let go to open the job for Philip Rivers and that was likely to happen even before he injured his shoulder in his final game for the Chargers. Wasn't Faulk a money thing?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Those are three good ones. If you trade a guy, especially a QB, that's giving up on him, IMHO.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Again, Brees wasn't traded.

He signed as a free agent in NO

12. RecoveringJournalist

I think Faulk was traded because the Colts were zeroing in on Edgerrin James in the draft, maybe it was that and a money thing.

Left for dead is an interesting one. Harrison is the most obvious case. Keenen McCardell would be another, although I don't think it's that uncommon with receivers.

Draft saved Draft deleted