1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hacking into your former paper's website?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Dec 20, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I meant to fix them before posting here, but forgot to.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've never heard of a news organization failing to cut off an employee's passwords/doorcodes/logins more than .0001 second after a layoff, and we've heard a stadium full of such stories here. It's the one thing they always cover their asses on.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Until last week, I had full access to Washington Times email. Had dinner with one of my former writers who left soon after I did. He still has access.
    Some companies are slow about some stuff.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I had email access to my first paper five years after I left. I found out when I got an email sent to my personal email saying that my mailbox was full.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Continental coffee was always the best.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Haha. Timothy's coffee.

They were the first chain in NYC to have a lot of outlets, and we were trying to be very New York centric.

At the time, I really wasn't much of a coffee drinker.

Ace likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would be very easy for a disgruntled ex-employee to get into most paper's systems, especially if they planned ahead and/or knew other people's codes.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would post a story on a former website. Was this just a straight up story? Does he/she realize page views are being taken away from the new place and being given to the old. Maybe I am just misunderstanding what happened here.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that I would be able to get into our online system for as long as I would want to if I were to leave. Pretty sure they'd lock me out of the print system and email, though.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This was what I was wondering. Makes no sense to me. Was this a local story for both sites? Odd. Can't imagine having the thought of doing such a thing.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I still have the Twitter and Facebook passwords for my old shop, in part because I had to use my personal laptop for work. The paper's Twitter account hasn't been used since I left more than two years ago, though each week the Twitter logo is still on the front page and is on the website. I bet I could access my old work e-mail via Outlook as well. The only reason I can't access the administrative part of the website is the paper went to a new provider right after I left.

Draft saved Draft deleted