1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Dec 22, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So OPOY is just forever the consolation prize/MVP runner-up? Because there is no logical way to say the MVP and POY can be different people on the same side of the ball.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't get the support for Romo. His numbers are excellent, but no better than those other guys and a few others. He is doing it with one of the best receivers in the game, an elite tight end, the top rusher in the NFL and arguably the league's best line. Not that he isn't having a great season, but I don't see him as MVP.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think he's in the top 5. But you can certainly make the argument that he's not the most valuable player on his own team.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No you can't.

Brandon Weeden they can't win with. They can still with Randle and Dunbar.

5. outofplace

True, though part of that is giving Romo credit for having such a crappy backup. You can certainly argue that he has more help on offense than some of the other quarterback candidates for MVP.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed. Their Oline has been fantastic.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Rodgers has two absolute stud receivers and a top back. His offensive line is nothing compared to what Romo has. You don't usually hear Nelson and Cobb mentioned as one of the top WR tandems in the league, but they have to be up there.

8. outofplace

The line is the key. It's not that none of the other elite quarterbacks have any help. They all do. I just think Romo has the most around him, at least on offense.

9. RecoveringJournalist

The line is the difference. Bryant-Williams-Murray is a great WR-WR-RB group, but I think several teams have guys who are as good, if not better. No team has an offensive line close to what Dallas has.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brady has Gronkowski, and in fact needs Gronk to excel. His offensive line has been, well, erratic might cover it. But the Pats do have a better D than the Packers or Cowboys, so that has to factor in somewhere. The Pats won with Brady having a very tough afternoon yesterday. Not sure Packers or Cowboys can do that if their QB has the same.

11. RecoveringJournalist

I think the possible divisional game I'd be most excited about would be Cowboys-Packers.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, that's usually how it works out. MVP goes to the best QB. OPOY goes to the best back.

Draft saved Draft deleted