1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chappy Channukkah '14

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I prefer to spell it Hanukah to keep it simple -- one "n" and one "k" in the middle of the word.

Regardless, here's the first candle burning in our household last night.

I got a Nokia 25 mp phone. As I posted elsewhere, it's tech culture shock; been a Droid guy forever. It might be too extreme of a difference so I return it and just upgrade to a Galaxy S5.

On a sadder note, 2 of the goddaughters aren't fans of latkes, which means I'll be making about 6 dozen for myself and the youngest GD.

Here's to latkes, gimmels, and coed naked dancing the Horah!

[​IMG]

HC likes this.
  2. Songbird

No Jews this year, eh?

Here's the youngest goddaughter blowing kisses to each candle last night after lighting the menorah.

[​IMG]

HC likes this.
  3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So who won the dreidel game in your house?

4. EStreetJoe

Nothing like mixing classic rock, pop and Hanukkah

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do adults get Hanukah gifts, too?
    I always thought only the children got gifts.

6. EStreetJoe

Adults can receive gifts as well, depending on whether or not spouses, relatives, friends, etc. want to buy them gifts :)

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Oy

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My Catholic wife decided we should exchange gifts for Hanukkah instead of Christmas this year, because I have to work that day. In the past, my son and I would exchange small gifts each night of Hanukkah -- a candy bar, restaurant gift cards, etc. -- and he got bigger gifts for Christmas.

The wife and I are passing on big gifts for each other this year and my son already knows what he's getting, so Christmas Eve will probably be opening gifts from the in-laws and I'll be out the door Christmas morning before they are awake.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  9. SecretSanta

SecretSanta Member

My Jewish sister-in-law is coming for Christmas Eve. Since we have a meatless dinner on Christmas Eve, we're including latkes. I'm looking quite forward to it.

10. Songbird

Latkes done right are one of the great treats in life. Goddaughters don't like 'em though so haven't had any yet. Big pisser.

11. EStreetJoe

Trader Joe's frozen latkes are great if you need a fix.

Songbird likes this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

All of us Jews have been through that awkward moment when you wish a coworker a Merry Christmas and they don't know how to reply: Merry Chr, er. Happy Hanukkah, is is still Hanukkah? Um, happy, er holidays.

Draft saved Draft deleted