1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Worf was one of the best-drawn characters in the franchise.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Batman is old, mortal and carries like 50 lbs of gear. Marky Mark in Sniper could take him down. Ironman's gear is much better, and sleaker

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

https://games.yahoo.com/news/comic-book-tv-shows-ended-151600444.html

I know we have some animation fans, so this is directed at you. The link is a list of top animated shows based on comic books that were cancelled before their time. I didn't see them all, but Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the X-Men were outstanding.

Spectacular Spider-Man was cut short to make way for Ultimate Spider-Man, which was designed more for little kids. Probably not a bad business decision, but they got rid of a show that was a lot of fun and still accessible for younger fans and replaced it with one that is often just silly.

The X-Men cartoon from the 90s is what drew me in to the characters in the first place, but Wolverine and the X-Men was far superior, even though it lasted just one season. Part of the problem was they put it Nick Toons, which tends to be part of premium cable and satellite packages, rather than the main Nickelodeon. That one is on Netflix and I highly recommend it to fans of the comic who missed it the first time around.

4. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Young Justice is very much worth watching. They just released both seasons on Blu-Ray and I believe there may still be episodes available via iTunes. I can watch those episodes multiple times and it still holds up well.

Greg Weisman was one of the creators of that series, and he was also the main driving force behind Spectacular Spider-Man. I have found him to be very good at building storylines and sticking to a central theme with his writing.

Agreed that Wolverine and the X-Men was great. It's another show where the episodes still hold up under multiple viewings.

5. outofplace

Young Justice is also on Netflix. I've seen a few episodes. I will eventually get around to the rest of the series, but I thought Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the X-Men were better. Maybe it is just that I'm more of a Marvel fan.

6. outofplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOyJqGtP-wU

Honest Trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Précis of ANT-MAN.
    http://nerdbastards.com/2014/12/11/ant-man-synopsis-update-and-full-cast-with-character-names/

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

One executive reportedly said it would be an easy deal to make. It should be and it sucks that they failed to get the deal done.

The fanboy in me wants to see all of the Marvel characters in one universe, but more importantly, Sony is wasting Spider-Man.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Latino Review, the source for the second link, is hit or miss. They've broken some big stories but also been burned on some. I think in several of those cases, they've been told about plans that were being discussed but haven't pan out (World War Hulk as a movie, for instance). I'd say there's probably a 60 to 70 percent chance they're reliable on this.

I really hope this gets done. The money is the only thing keeping it from happening, I'd bet. No way Marvel is going to pay for production on something they don't have creative control over, and Sony has shown they have no idea how to do Spider-Man long-term while they're in control. Marvel could use the character right and spread him around in their other movies.

My fantasy: Sony and Marvel begin talks now, make a quick deal, and film a secret post-credits scene for Age of Ultron in February (with Andrew Garfield or a recast Spider-Man and Downey or Evans, whoever they can get), setting up Spider-Man for his first full appearance in Captain America: Civil War. Won't happen, but a geek can dream, can't he?

11. outofplace

Works for me, but the studios keep fucking it up.

The post credits could be Stark recruiting Peter Parker to work for him, then revealing that he knows Peter is Spider-Man and he wants him in the fold before the Superhero Registration Act is passed. Parker asks what that is and Stark just makes a face and the scene is over, setting up Spidey for a larger role in Civil War. (Somewhat following his path in the comics, but without the idiotic decision to reveal his face to the world.)

12. outofplace

Fan made trailer for a Marvel vs. DC movie. No basis in reality, of course, but enough fun that it's getting a good bit of attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted