1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 30, 2013.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Also said change may be because they anticipate Lesnar's leaving, and he'll have more heat as a departing face than as a de-fanged leaving heel. Makes a lot of sense. Besides the Cena merch issues that will never die.

I'm a lot more interested in a Cena-Brock-Rollins triple threat WM main event than I am in Reigns-Lesnar.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I still want to see a Shield Triple Threat for the strap.

3. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

Ambrose has X-Pac heat times about 100 in our house. His look, persona and in-ring style are nowhere near proportionate to the level of adulation he receives. He alone legitimately makes me not want to watch WWE.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

So, some interesting tidbits to share from the podcast world (at this point, I'm down to Austin, Piper, and Jericho. JR has worn thin.)

- Piper had John Carpenter, for whom I am a huge mark. But Piper had Jeff Jarrett on another show. He and Piper touch on the fact that Vince wanted Jerry Jarrett to take over WWF in the early 90s had Vince been convicted and served federal prison time for the steroid accusations. Holy shit, did anyone else know that? Also, Piper did a good show a few weeks ago with Austin Aries.
    - Jericho had Ryback on. Ryback tells his side of the Punk stuff. Jericho, because he's such an attention whore and will whore out for whoever will do his show and kiss his ass, backs Ryback and outright says in a later episode that Punk "slandered" Ryback. Guess Jericho is still pissed Punk didn't dish on his show instead of Cabana's.
    - Cheap Heat had Foley on, but at least it was Mick and not Noelle. Tangent: I can see Noelle getting a ton of heat as she tries to wrestle because a portion of the IWC slobber over her. Anyway, Mick was plugging this documentary that is on Netflix streaming called "I am Santa Claus." Filmmakers follow Mick, who also produced it, and other men as they prepare to play Santa for Christmas. I watched it. Foley played Santa at Santa's Village, and of course he was nearly murdered on Raw by an Alberto Del Rio, who had just turned face but turned heel for a night so John Cena could defend Santa. Early in this documentary, a gay polar bear Santa strips down to a cowboy hat and boots and poses for seductive pictures for a calendar or something in an old metal wash tub. I'm not shitting you. It's a weird documentary. Also, note all the wrestler names in the credits, as they donated money to the production.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  5. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

Jericho really has devolved into a self-mark, especially on his show. During the Ryback episode, it was like, "We get it, Chris. Paul Stanley was on your show. You're the man." He otherwise puts on a good show, but I only listen if the guest(s) is/are worthwhile. To actually add something positive to this post, Ryback seems like one of the coolest guys on the planet. Very positive individual, engaging personality, loves the sport and seems willing to work to be the best.

The only semi-redeemingly qualities about Noelle Foley are (1) her father, and (2) her tall, curvy, pretty blonde appearance ... which is about as generic as it gets outside the IWC. If she has a work ethic, she'll do OK, but I could see her busting out a lot of the, "Don't you know who I am?!" attitude she would have inherited from said father since he's left the ring.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not me. I like Ambrose because he reminds me of Scott Hall back in the day. There are some weeks where Ambrose helps save an otherwise meh show.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't know man. I ran into Noelle at a Ring of Honor show a couple of weeks ago and she couldn't have been a nicer person. She was incredibly down to earth and seemed to really enjoy the show. And you don't just go to ROH shows to get people to blow themselves over you.
    I asked her for a photo and was going to take it myself, selfie style, but she said "Why don't I have my friend take it so we can make sure it comes out good?" and she did. Then, she asked me to take a look at it and make sure it came out good or we could do it again.
    She was very accommodating to any fans that wanted to say hello to her or get a photo with her. I just simply didn't see a mean spirit to her.
    Will that change if she does move forward in the pro wrestling world? Perhaps. But I'm 100 percent rooting for her. She was an incredibly nice person and seems very grounded by the IWC love.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn't so much that Jerry Jarrett would have taken over WWF in terms of ownership. It's that he would have been in charge on the creative side to replace Vince while the McMahons still owned the company. Vince had handled the creative, while Linda was handling the business side, and the kids were still not doing anything of significance with the company.

When Punk had made his steroid comments on Ryback, I too, had thought he was making borderline slanderous comments. But of course, if if had gone to a lawsuit, Punk's lawyers would have been wanting every drug test in the discovery.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Meltzer has said that Piper's podcast tends to be really shaky when it comes to how he remembers things. That's kind of understandable though, when you learn about Piper's own background and horrible childhood.

10. Bradley Guire

That's part of the appeal to listening to Piper. He sure doesn't always get the best guests, so insane rambling will have to suffice.

11. Bradley Guire

Yeah, well, this isn't the friendship business.

Wocka wocka.

12. Bradley Guire

Bryan just tweeted he'll be on Raw tonight to tell us about coming to a "crossroads" in his life. Either he's retiring or trolling us to announce he's in the Rumble match.

Draft saved Draft deleted