1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant coach 'genius'/coach-in-waiting profiles

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by lede me, Jan 9, 2015.

1. lede me

lede me New Member

Hi all, I am working on a profile of a collegiate assistant coach is who is essentially a coach-in-waiting for a very well-regarded non-revenue sport program. He's a relatively young guy who is considered one of the tops at what he does.

I'm looking for any examples of stories along these lines, to look at the structure. In a ~2,000-word piece, I'm trying to balance the coach's background, since it hasn't been written about publicly much before, and explain the system that he runs.

Thanks.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

What publication is wanting 2,000 words on an assistant coach of a non-revenue sport and his philosophy? Sounds about as twice as long (if not more) than it needs to be based on what you just pitched. Unless you're writing for a sport-specific magazine.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Eh, it's not something you'd do everywhere but there are plenty of places in the south where baseball is huge in the spring. If you got a pitching or hitting coach doing something truly innovative I could see it. There are other schools where lacrosse or hockey is huge. At my former paper basically all of the non-revs were national championship contenders at a time when football and basketball were down so there was a lot of interest, especially in the spring.

Draft saved Draft deleted