1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a shock: Hollywood pushing back at "The Sniper"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

We have a winner.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting critique.
    ‘American Sniper’s’ missing element: The man behind the gun - The Washington Post
    "But what about the specifics of the man himself? “American Sniper,” based on Kyle’s memoir of the same name, scrupulously sands off Kyle’s edges and political beliefs until he becomes precisely the generic stand-in for U.S. service members that Cooper feared the movie might represent. “American Sniper” would have been a better film about Kyle and the war he fought in if director Clint Eastwood had been as bold with politics on film as he was on the Republican National Convention stage in 2012."

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Best post on this thread in many pages was totally ignored.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As controversy rages over American Sniper, many supporters of the movie have suggested that it’s apolitical and shouldn’t be construed as supportive of war or bigotry; that it’s merely a character study of a tortured soldier. The problem with that analysis is that the film isn’t focused on a group of soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, or the difficulties with being reacquainted with civilian life, or the inadequacies of the Veterans Administration.

The movie is about Chris Kyle, a remorseless sniper who said his job was “fun” and wished he could return to Iraq to fight even more, and who made millions of dollars and gained worldwide fame writing about his exploits. If anything, Kyle is the absolute worst soldier one could pick to talk about soldiers coming home and our need to take care of them. The way he wrote and talked about his time in Iraq, one would think the war was the best thing that ever happened to him.

The ugly truth about “American Sniper” - Salon.com

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point.

Agree with it? Disagree with it?

I suppose it circles back to something that's been discussed here - Chris Kyle the man and Chris Kyle the film character are distinct from one another.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Are Chris Kyle the man and Chris Kyle the tool of war the same thing?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  7. Boom_70

Chris Kyle the man seemed like your average SEC fan. Drove a pick truck with lift kit, loved his dip, liked to hunt, always wore a ball cap
    and loved 'merica

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out why we let Clint Eastwood - an 84-year-old man who can barely string together thoughts while interviewed at the AT&T at Pebble Beach - direct another film.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ha. I can give you 90 million reasons.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Make that $200 mil ...

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guessing Eastwood set out to create an entertaining movie, that audiences would enjoy, and that would make money.

He succeeded.

Is anyone surprised that the movie version of Cris Kyle and the actual Chris Kyle are not the exact same?

I mean, seriously. Is "Dreams from my Father" Barack Obama the exact same as the real Barack Obama?

Can you tell the complete story of anyone in 132 minutes?

12. Boom_70

It sure fooled the Nobel Peace Prize committee.

Draft saved Draft deleted