1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

York Publisher: No Cursing (or Snickers Bars) in the Newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Best lede I've read in weeks.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I remember a situation like this at a small-town weekly. We had an advertising manager/assistant publisher who used to launch into f-bomb-laced tirades at the smallest everyday things and had a tendency to throw floppy disks and anything else he could get his hands on across the room. One day he was having one of those tirades when a well-respected nun walked into the office to have some graphic design work done or something along those lines.

I still remember after she'd quietly paid her bill and left, the editor coming up to him really calmly and casually with a smirk on his face, saying "Joe, do you know who what was at the counter just now?" It was a pretty good laugh.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I stopped cussing years ago (it was easier than I thought it would be), but I understand that f-bombs are bound to happen, especially in a newsroom, and especially as deadline approaches. It seems, however, that some people use f-bombs more than ordinary words. I knew one guy who in the course of normal conversation could not utter a sentence without it having two or three f-bombs. Maybe this editor was just looking for a little more discretion or awareness from her employees. But as far as the Snickers ban....I can't figure that one out.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

My former wife would ask me, after I F-bombed, if that was really "fuck-worthy?"

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

At my first stop, she would have had to fire everybody. They had mouths that would make the upper deck at Fenway blush.

No Mountain Dew? Fuck that ho bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted