1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a shock: Hollywood pushing back at "The Sniper"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never argued that the movie is creating anti-Muslim sentiment.

2. Dick Whitman

YF, you know politics. That's for sure. And you know current events. And business.

But I don't know that you've really taken any time to understand the craft of narrative and storytelling. Not "narrative" in the media-committed-to-the-narrative way, but "narrative" as in the way that an effective story is built. (And this is all said with all due respect - I think you yourself have talked about not being much of a movie buff, for example.)

101: Stock characters are always bad.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jackie's story was entirely fabricated. The problem wasn't just that it was from her point of view, it was that it was fake -- and it was portrayed as fact checked journalism.

And, a well rounded movie might have made some folks happy, but that's not what this movie even sought to do. It tells one person's story.

If you want the other side of the story, raise some money, hire a scriptwriter, and a director, and produce a movie.

As I said, Eastwood produced a companion movie, "Letters from Iwo Jima", to the movie "Flags of our Fathers". Let someone make a movie about the other side of this story. No one is stopping them.

It's entertainment, not journalism. Eastwood isn't required to tell the other side of Kyle's story.

4. Dick Whitman

Of course he's not required to. But it's a flaw of the film's that the villians are wooden. What Eastwood "sought to do" doesn't save it from that criticism. Tom Green "sought to" make a gross-out comedy, "Freddy Got Fingered." He succeeded in that. It's still a shitty movie.

5. YankeeFan

Is there a single WWII movie that humanizes the Nazis or the Japanese?

Did Lucas humanize the Storm Troopers?

6. Dick Whitman

Christopher Waltz won an Academy Award for his portrayal of the Nazi villian in "Inglorious Basterds."

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima very much humanizes the Japanese.

He can do it.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yankeefan you are going OOP over this. Trying far to hard.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not a movie but a TV - Hogan's Heroes humanizes Nazis

10. YankeeFan

Damn it!

I gave you that one already.

Of course it was. It was also made 50 years after the war ended, and was made specifically to tell the other side.

But, if you read the book Flags of our Fathers (I didn't see the movie), or saw the Bridge on the River Kwai, you might have wanted to transport yourself back to the 1940s so that you could kill some Japs. (Or at least lock up Japanese-Americans in internment camps.)

11. YankeeFan

Damn Canadians. Never understanding American patriotism. ;)

JC likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not to mention the first Superman cartoons. Those were some Jap-hating Hollywood types.

Draft saved Draft deleted