1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

When have the Patriots publicly lied?
    I'm not dismissing sources. The only thing that proves the Patriots cheated is a report that say 11 of the 12 balls were 2 lbs off (which doesn't prove they cheated, just proves the balls deflated) and a bunch of theories from people who haven't run tests.
    And what else in the "past history" have the Patriots done that point the other way?
    I've never denied they cheated during Spygate. It was like PEDs in baseball. Most were doing it, some got caught. Those who got caught are labeled as cheaters. So be it.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in the Patriots deflection tactics. Everybody else was doing it? Guess what. The Patriots were the ones who were proven to be doing it. Even after the league warned the teams that they were going to bust them, the Patriots continued to do cheat. They simply assumed they would get away with it even if they got caught. That is the part of the past history that counts as evidence against them this time around. They found a way to cheat before. They continued to do it after being told to stop. That shows a willingness to cheat. That is evidence.

If you would like to prove that the other teams did it, that would be lovely. I haven't seen that evidence. Have you? It is not fair or appropriate for you to demand proof of the Patriots' possible misdeeds, then claim other acts by other teams as fact when they have not been proven at all.

Part of Belichick's second press conference focused on his team being a scapegoat of some sort in Spygate, as if the punishment and reputation they earned for themselves was not justified. It isn't a denial, but it certainly is not taking responsibility, either.

Also, my understanding is that there is no doubt that 11 of the 12 balls were deflated. The amount of deflation is in some question, but while the claim of two pounds has not been proven, it has not been refuted, either.

3. outofplace

Regarding the question of the Patriots publicly lying, I won't say it has been proven, but quite a few players lined up to say Brady was full of shit after his press conference.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I hope this debate never ends.

cranberry and JC like this.
  5. Rhody31

Still waiting about what the Patriots have publicly lied about.

6. outofplace

Asked and answered, Rhody.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Oh Rhody, never change. I see your boy Hernandez trial has been delayed.

Remember Rhody rules are rules and those ball were under inflated, it does not matter if it was Brady, Belichek or a Parriot employee. Rules ar rules and they must pay the price.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is the most convinced OOP has ever been on anything.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Still waiting for those links to the reports that say the two pounds were "wildly off."

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sen. John McCain joins critics of Roger Goodell

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Until the next time.

12. Rhody31

Where? You said Spygate. Waiting for all these other egregious times the Patriots lied.
    I posted the link to the Florio story. I'd say being 50 percent off of the original report is "wildly off," no? Perhaps I should have just said off.
    My boy Hernandez? Hardly. He murdered someone. You see, I don't say probably because the majority of the evidence points to him doing it. The DA has more than a body and a guess.
    Read the rule book. The balls go to the officials for inspection. The officials need to inflate or delfate them to the legal PSI if they aren't. That's the rule. If the Patriots handed the officials balls that were 11.5 and the officials didn't test them, how is it any different than getting away with a holding penalty?

All I want is explanations. Evidence. Something. If there is evidence out there that the Patriots' cheated in this case, where is it? The balls being deflated isn't evidence. It's the crime. So where's the evidence?
    Because once I see it, I'll eat crow.

Draft saved Draft deleted