1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The media should just ask Lynch the same question 25 times. That way, everyone wins.

2. EddieM

EddieM Member

I really don't understand why anyone gets upset about athletes that don't want to engage with the media. 1) I never felt, or feel, like it is the athlete's responsibility to make my job easier. 2) 99.96% of quotes from pressers and scrums are not only useless, but available for public consumption. My ability to regurgitate them does little for my readers or mankind.

I'd honestly be okay if the NFL and its teams (and even the players with things like The Player's Tribune) --knowing it no longer needs the outside media to push its product like the olden days -- decided the mandatory media sessions weren't required. Then we'd see who's willing to work hard on the beat.

Double Down likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just general human decency.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As I recall, Lynch guest starred on The League this past season.

I don't think he has a problem talking.

Maybe he got tired of being asked "talk about" questions.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The NFL should hook up employees to a combination lie detector test / electroshock therapy system. Failure to give a good quote or tell the truth gets you PAINFULLY ZAPPED.

First up, the Patriots locker room attendant.

6. EddieM

EddieM Member

Personally, I'm with you. If for some strange, otherworldly reason I became a public figure and people were interested in including me in a story, I'd do my best to give them what they need. But it's always dangerous to legislate decency. Just as we are free to write about sports and public affairs, public figures should be free to withhold their speech.

7. Yeah, but then what happens when reporters take what you say out of context and you get sick of it, as Lynch has appeared to have done? Nobody can take anything he says out of context if he doesn't say anything.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is that what his issue is?

9. That's what Michael Robinson hinted at today on NFL Network when they had him on before Media Day.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There it is, OOP. I told you people would start taking Casanova seriously before very long. Looks like we hit the under. :D

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I have better things to do than to investigate whether someone is a genuine idiot or not.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I have no issue with anyone refusing to speak to the media at any time, as long as he does so with normal decency you'd expect out of an adult you work with.

What I find interesting is the NFL apparently thinks it's important enough to have players out there for media that they have a rule and fines, but they have no standards beyond "sit there."

If media day is that important, they ought to fine Lynch anyway for what he did, because what he did is worse for his image (and the NFL's) than if he had not shown up at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted