1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People are so mad at the governor of Indiana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would still be an issue. It would just be a different set of people so mad about it.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. The city I live in has its own website. On it, the city posts press releases, news stories, fluffy features, announcements, and even analysis/editorial pieces. The local newspaper is not shaking in its boots about this competition, nor denouncing it as a "waste of taxpayer money" or an infringement of its First Amendment rights. It's a service used by citizens (including this one) to find out what the city is doing or what's coming up in town. Those with at least half a brain (including this one) realize it is coming directly from the city and process all information taken from it accordingly.

I'd be willing to bet there are thousands of similar websites/"news services" all over America.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It would if it was successful in its stated purpose to "compete" with traditional media. Unless they're getting into a "competition" in order to purposely lose.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It is not preventing media outlets from competing.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do they have "reporters" going to press conferences and asking questions? Do they call themselves a "news service" but yet only give one side to a story?

6. MisterCreosote

That's not what I said. The government is ostensibly competing to put private and legacy media out of business. That's what a "competition" is. And, again, that was one of this site's explicitly stated purposes.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think this is the best argument against it--that it's essentially enabling Indiana's Republican party to use taxpayer money to present their self-serving version of the news.

Even if it's innocuous in this instance, I can certainly see how this sort of thing could grow into something more sinister if other states copy and expand on Pence's lead here.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How is it any different than having a Communications Director and a staff under him/her?

9. MisterCreosote

How many governors have "managing editors" and "editorial boards?"

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because those folks would try to get the traditional media to buy and repoirt what they are selling instead of foisting their doubletalk directly onto unsuspecting Hoosiers.

11. Dick Whitman

12. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted