1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Billings, MT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

Company: Billings Gazette
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified

[​IMG]
    Description:
    The Billings Gazette, Montana’s largest newspaper and the state’s premier provider of sports content, has a full-time opening for a reporter who has an eye for compelling features, thrives in a fast-paced environment and has the savvy to enhance readership of our expanding online content.

A vast eastern and central Montana circulation area that extends from the Canadian border into northern Wyoming and western North Dakota is your canvas. We are the go-to sports section for an audience that follows more than 150 high schools, two small colleges, a short-season minor-league baseball team, an Indoor Football League team, world-class rodeo, and much more. Our two NCAA Division I programs, Montana and Montana State, and the athletes from four Indian reservations in our coverage area also spark great passion from our readers.

Versatility, creativity and high energy are essential traits. You’ll join a remarkably experienced team of eight full-time staffers, which enables us to provide innovation and depth to our coverage. Billings is a rapidly growing city in the heart of some of America’s most picturesque country, a short drive from Yellowstone National Park, world-class trout fishing and other outdoor activities.

The Gazette offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. Visit our Web site at The Billings Gazette - Montana & Wyoming News to see what we’re doing. and learn more about our company at Lee Enterprises

If you’re interested in a great job on a great staff, send a cover letter, resume, three references and work examples that demonstrate why you’d be a great fit to Lee Enterprises: Search for Jobs

2. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

Is this the same job that was posted here several weeks back or another opening?

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I can't imagine how many part-timers it would take to take prep calls/emails for 150+ high schools.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've seen the paper many times. They don't actually run results for all 150 schools. The paper is the largest in about a 500-mile radius, so that gives them plenty of space to go find good stories in rural areas. Hard to see which actually covers more schools, the Gazette or the Great Falls Tribune.

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Pretty much what I figured. I wonder how far out of Billings they actually go for regular game coverage.

6. dm19

dm19 Member

I've corresponded with this crew quite a bit throughout the years. They run a tight ship and there would be the opportunity to cover some outstanding small colleges (Frontier Conference). Also, Montana's prep scene is criminally underrated. While I don't know their sports editor, he has a great background and their ASE is a good dude who seems easy to work with. The Gazette is a good shop too. They cover basically the entire state of Montana when it comes down to it and even dip into Wyoming.

Draft saved Draft deleted