1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People are so mad at the governor of Indiana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 28, 2015.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Maybe the difference is that public services are those which the private market failed at delivering to the general public... or those considered so valuable that people want them included as part of the "basic package" that taxes pay for?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then that's on the newspaper, not the government, no?

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes. But it illustrates that this issue is indeed tied pretty closely to the legacy media's struggles, which embolden the government to take such steps.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Government doesn't have to be "emboldened" to create a website that publishes its news. They do it all the time. And they aren't stopping anyone from covering them in whatever way they see fit.

If there's a lack of trust of the media, that isn't the fault of the governor of Indiana, or indeed any other elected official. That's the fault of the media itself and the circumstances (revenue, technology, etc.) that have lessened its reach and impact in recent years.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that in a board full of journalists, former journalists and those concerned with media issues would take the governor's original stated position.

But, then, some here just like being contrary for contrary's sake so there's always that.

I'll be interested to see how aggressive the governor's news service pushes social media. Press offices have always generated b roll and releases but will this package those? Distribute those to stations and newspapers for their websites? You could, in theory, force TV stations to only use footage that the governor's office distributes and newspaper could only use quotes from releases.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If the governor cut off access to reporters or otherwise kept the media from doing its job, I'd be properly outraged. This does neither.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's s total farce, Jay, but there's nothing to be outraged about whatsoever.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not yet but that doesn't mean that it won't down the line and think imagining those possibilities is fueling some of this.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If they do, then I'll be outraged. Call me then.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thing is, there are people in our government, on both "sides," who would do that in a heartbeat if left to their own devices. That's why it's so important to challenge it now.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Challenge what? They haven't done anything a thousand U.S. cities haven't already done. They haven't restricted anyone's access. They certainly haven't done anything illegal. They're going to put their message out. That's it. Governments and politicians in this country have been doing that since time immemorial. If the media sees bullshit, they are free to call the government on it. That's their job and their Constitutional right. No one has touched that. Not one bit.

You are correct that many officials on both sides of the political spectrum would love to cut off media access and scrutiny. That has nothing to do with this. If they do that, it's time to react. This is nothing.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Better get used to the idea that governments, like nearly all organizations, are going to communicate directly to the public using whatever platforms and technology available to them. It only becomes an issue if the government begins to restrict the press. There's nothing even remotely controversial going on here from what I see.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted