1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People are so mad at the governor of Indiana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 28, 2015.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

So none of you "sports writers" on this site are dealing with "state-sponsored" university athletic web sites, many of whom deploy their own bloggers with special access? Have they put you out of business yet?
    What a load. This is only an issue because Pence is a Republican, the Indy Star has its knickers in a twist and the Gannett fellow travelers around the country are clutching at their pearls in sympathy.
    Indiana reporters and editors will cluck and moan about this in public, then quietly slink to their personal computers and send in resumes.

Hokie_pokie and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is such a load of horseshit. One of the biggest supporters of defunding state-sponsored or subsidized media is noted GOP hater Michelle Malkin:

Free the Taxpayers: Defund State-Sponsored Media | National Review Online

Thomas Jefferson famously opined: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.” NPR and PBS have no problem raising money from corporations and left-wing philanthropists, including billionaire George Soros, whose Open Society Institute just gave $1.8 million to pay for at least 100 journalists at NPR-member radio stations in all 50 states over the next three years.

Not one more red cent of public money should go to NPR, PBS, and CPB. Let the speech-squelching progressives and jihadi-whitewashing apologists pay for their own propaganda. Free the taxpayers!

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, colleges taking over content generation has cost jobs on sports staffs -- small papers used to do localized features on college athletes and most of that stuff is now done by the college SID staffs (usually interns).

Gannett is a right-wing corporatist boilerplate mill hell-bent to slash editorial and reporting staffs. I am sure theyll have little problem with anything pumped out by Pence's foghorn operation.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's just the usual government boilerplate bullshit under one roof. Who cares? It's not as if media outlets reprinting or rebroadcasting government press releases as their own journalism was a new thing.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is fucking hysterical.

If you want an actual issue to bitch about, check out how the current WH treats photojournalists.

You don't think their own photographer, who only releases flattering photos, has shut out the "competition".

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But this is only true of the current WH, right?

7. YankeeFan

It's gotten progressively worse. Have you followed the issue at all?

Which isn't to say that a Republican WH would not have done the same thing. And, the next one -- regardless of who's elected, will likely take it even further.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly my point.

9. YankeeFan

You made no point.

I didn't say anything partisan, so there was nothing for you to correct or clarify.

This is the "slippery slope" that some here seem to worry about in Indiana, yet no one seems concerned by it.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, I read a partisan comment in the "current WH" phrasing. Not that anyone here would imply anything about the current administration. :) Guess I missed your larger point, which is a good one. I don't think this is too big of a deal, unless the thing really gains a lot of traction. As others have said, it's not going to have much influence, and I don't see it as a threat.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's quite possible you have some sort of illness. I might look into that.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lines like these make me think threads like this are elaborate trolls.

It wasn't a "smart move" on any level, no matter how many goose/gander posts you wring out of it.

You've been around long enough -- and you clearly know enough about journalism -- to know the last thing you want to do is wake up dead-ass statehouse reporters and have them start paying attention. You know as well as I do that most statehouses are about as clean as a 5-year-old's hamster pen, and, generally speaking, the media kind of lives with that -- people gotta eat -- until you go and do something like this end-run bullshit, probably because some idealistic 29-year-old thinktanker didn't find the local media as libertarian as his Facebook page.

Now, all of sudden, somebody somewhere has a scent. It's just a big time-suck, now neutered of its original intent.

Better to have some political operative start a private blog, leak them shit, and do it all for free because that's one way how political operatives break into wonk biz. That's smart. It's morally disgusting to me personally, but it's smart.

Draft saved Draft deleted