1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They can prestress jeans, they ought to be able to do it with footballs right at the factory.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It amazes me that a $10 billion industry handles its games balls the way it does.

poindexter likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get why they come from the factory so slick. But MLB rubs down the balls (heh-heh) with that mud before all the games, so no reason to think the NFL couldn't come up with a standard way to break them in and provide the balls.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rhody's just looking for answers OOP.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Blandino gave us some of them today.
    The Goodell presser should be interesting.
    BTW, Doyel - who has been killing it in Indy - compared DeflateGate to the 1919 Black Sox.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Shocking that Doyel would overreact to something.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's going to be so great when the Patriots face no penalty for cheating, but the Falcons lose a draft choice.

Adam Schefter:

Falcons being investigated for piping artificial crowd noise into their stadium the past two seasons, per sources. The offense is expected to result in discipline with the Falcons being fined and quite possibly losing a draft choice. A Falcons team spokesman said: “We were informed during the season that the league office is looking into crowd noise during our games. We have cooperated fully with them, and we’re awaiting the outcome." Atlanta is accused of piping in the noise while the opposing team was huddling, trying to call its play. The tactics originated from the Falcons' game operations department, per sources. Some around the league have argued that silent counts have rendered crowd noise more irrelevant and it’s difficult to discern how much of an advantage it gave the Falcons. But it was enough to have the league look into it, and now the Falcons are facing stiff penalties.

9. cranberry

I wonder, is there a distinction be made between rule breaking and gamesmanship? I think of watering down the infield or letting the grass grow a little longer in baseball. If so, where is the line drawn here football people?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This makes sense. I've always felt that Home Depot piped in artificial fork lift and circular saw noise.

11. cranberry

Don't forget the sawdust scent.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

and chirping birds in garden center during springtime

Draft saved Draft deleted