1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Best Football Prospect Nobody Has Ever Heard Of (Could Be Easton Bruere)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sgreenwell, Jan 29, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

So, this Bleacher Report article making the rounds on another board I post on. I did a search on his name here, and nothing popped up, and figured I would post it: The Best Football Prospect Nobody Has Ever Heard Of | Bleacher Report - Anyone from New Mexico or more familiar with the college football / high school prep beat heard of this dude? What immediately sprung to mind to me is that maybe he's just a system QB (even at the high school level), or maybe he or his parents have unreasonable expectations of his college success. (i.e. Maybe he wants to start all four years.) However, I honestly have no background in this area.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You were supposed to leave that on the other board.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I bet he's not the Sidd Finch of football.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Oh, we've all heard of him. We just don't write about him or talk about him because we're trying to cost him a scholarship.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I read this story last night and before I saw this thread.

It was interesting, but fairly normal.

Players all around the country have similar stories: Local schools not interested and out-of-state schools don't want to waste a scholarship.

Trying to spin it into some conspiracy about New Mexico was just odd.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He has great grades. Get an academic scholarship, go to a D-III school and suck it up. If you're any good at D-III, transfer up.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kind of figured that, but the story has gotten more than a million page views, so I wasn't sure if this version of it was a little more legit than some others. I mean, running backs put up gaudy numbers each year in Rhode Island high school football, but none of them are ever serious D-I prospects unless you go back to the days of Mike Cloud and Will Blackmon.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, tell him to play in this damned country and we'll pay attention.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, if he's good, he can go play some JUCO ball and then get a scholarship to the D-I school of his dreams.

Or maybe he can go to a I-AA, get redshirted, graduate in four years after three seasons of playing, then get recruited to play at D-I school.

That's currently happening. The quarterback at Eastern Washington is going to graduate in May and if being recruited by Oregon.

In his case, he was the conference player of the year and runnerup for the Walter Payton Award.

But he'll have his degree and a year of eligibility, so let's do this.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If this kid played at numerous national camps, as the story indicates, then I'm guessin there are other reasons/flaws that help explain the lack of offers beyond our persecution of New Mexicans.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If he's as good as he's being portrayed, one of the local schools would have offered.
    In RI, the football is pretty bad. As SG said, we get a D-1 quality player once in a while - Will Blackmon and Jamie Silva both played at BC and went on to the NFL (Silva for two seasons) - but it's rare that our players get recruited outside the Northeast. When Jamie was being recruited, it was BC, Cuse, UConn, Pitt. The farthest school really going after him was Indiana.
    20-plus years ago there was an RB named Buddy Rodgers who went to Maryland. I can't recall anyone being actively recruited farther away than that.
    I talked to a college coach about it once. He said it's because the talent is so thin, school's that aren't nearby know they can find a similar player in their own backyard.
    If the kid is as good as he and coaches think he is, he'll get a chance somewhere. But the reality may be he played mediocre competition and put up gaudy numbers.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

But isn't he overqualified for D-III?

Draft saved Draft deleted