1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demarcus Cousins throws it in Clay's face

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jan 30, 2015.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Clay Travis predicts Cousins will be arrested in five years. That anniversary has gone by, with Cousins walking the straight and narrow. Naturally, he's letting everyone know it:

DeMarcus Cousins Gives Rock-Stupid Sportswriter A Much-Deserved Smack

Between that and this weepy piece on the convicted Vanderbilt rapists (interrupting the story to make sure everyone knows he broke something), Travis is having a bad week. Not sure he cares but is this clown on his 14th minute?

Two Former Vanderbilt Football Players Guilty of Rape | FOX Sports

I'm no fan of Jameis Winston and his behavior but it's interesting that Travis, who graduated from law school, gets all mushy about two guilty rapists but has been judge, jury and executioner about Winston, who hasn't been charged with anything. Also, in his rush to evoke sympathy for the Vanderbilt rapists, he wastes little time on the ordeal the victim has been through.

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Saw someone say this on Twitter, and I can't help but agree:

It's no wonder that certain athletes (ie Marshawn Lynch) don't like talking to the media.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ok, and herein lies one of the problems: That we (athletes; readers; companies doing the actually hiring) can no longer distinguish between legitimate, ethical media and carnival barkers like Clay Travis.

4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Fair point

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Travis wants the attention. He's retweeting all the vulgar, angry things being tweeted at him, as if to say "Hey, these people are much worse than I was in saying what I said." It's the opposite of an apology, and shows he only said it in the first place to get a rise out of people and the attention that comes with that.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

and sadly, more than a few companies doing the hiring want the carnival barker. It's all about the clicks.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Clay Travis is a professional troll. It's his thing.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's all a sideshow; the rhetorical version of wanking. Travis' nimwit followers tweet vile stuff on purpose.

Some career he's carved out.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

We can distinguish between them. The carnival barkers are the ones making a fortune and the legitimate members of the media are the ones worried about their jobs.

I laugh at the notion that Travis is having a bad week. This is huge for him.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Good lord. I hadn't read that Vandy story until now. What a fucking awful piece that was.

11. Few people have found success in this industry at the level Clay has. He is perhaps the best in the business. But Cousins got him good here.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

From the Vandy story....

"1. Our radio show was so popular in Nashville that once we went public with details of the case I worried that it would be impossible for an impartial jury to be empaneled in the city and 2. One particular alleged detail was so explosive that I knew it would vault the case into a national story. "

Alrighty then!

Draft saved Draft deleted