1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 8, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't know... I think he made a great hire with Holmgren, got lucky with Favre, the same way Walsh got lucky with Montana and Belichick got lucky with Brady. Wolf wins a title and goes back to the SB and loses and then Holmgren leaves. He replaces Holmgren with Ray Rhodes, who was a disaster and then hires Mike Sherman, who had a good record (thanks to Favre) but was so lightly regarded as a HC that he never got a second shot at being a NFL HC despite a .578 record. He generally did not do well in the draft.

I think the job Thompson has done in Green Bay is far more impressive than what Wolf did.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Man. You really don't like giving Wolf credit for anything, do you?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jesus, he did not "get lucky" with Favre. He stalked the Falcons for a year about that and offered a first-round pick for a guy that was a second-rounder and did nothing as a rookie.

And here are some of the players Wolf drafted: Robert Brooks, Edgar Bennett, Mark Chmura (seventh round), Wayne Simmons, Earl Dotson, Aaron Taylor, Dorsey Levens, William Henderson, Antonio Freeman, etc. etc.

He built a team that made three straight championship games and two straight Super Bowls.

I don't know if he stiffed you one time and you have a grudge, but this is a ridiculous take.

Songbird likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you are missing the big picture.

Green Bay had only 5 winning seasons in 24 when Wolf got there. It had 9 winning seasons in the next 10 years and the other year it was 8-8. He must have done something right. Also, in the 70s and 80s, Green Bay was NFL purgatory. Nobody wanted to sign there. He changed that.

Do you really think Ted Thompson has done anything comparable -- turning around a moribund franchise that nobody wanted to play for and turning it into a perennial winner?

5. JackReacher

Looks like Ron Wolf didn't return a few calls or something. Jeez.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Actually, the complete opposite. He was crazy accessible.

I'm not saying he was being a bad GM, I'm just saying I would not put him into Canton.

Yes, I absolutely think Thompson is a better GM.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's Wolf's fault too that McCarthy went the safe route trying to kick early field goals against Seattle.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're not answering my question. Ted Thompson is a fine GM, a good talent evaluator and maybe when all is said and done we can have a Hall of Fame debate regarding him.

But this is all about context. You get into the PFHOF by doing something memorable that separates you from a lot of other people who were really good. Ron Wolf turned around a sinking franchise -- one that was sinking hard when he came in. Do you get that that is what separates him and makes him into a legitimate hall of fame discussion? Ted Thompson won't have anything nearly like that on his resume. He'll be another of a bevy of good talent evaluators over the years that you can argue was a really good GM.

9. JackReacher

Who cares about Thompson? He's not up for the HOF.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Apparently there are eight chairs set up for the HOF announcement, so we know Wolf, Polian and Tinglehoff got in.

The early leaks say that Brown and Bettis got in. Bettis would be a surprise.

11. Della9250

Haley also apparently in. With Seau, there's only one spot left if Brown, Bettis Haley and Seau are in.

12. Della9250

And looks like Will Shields is the last of the five.

Draft saved Draft deleted