1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding The Winning Edge by Bill Walsh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever hear of this book? I once had copy and lost and am now trying to replace. I was stunned to see that cheapest copy available on Amazon for $239.

Book now has a bit of a cult following.

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I'm lucky enough to have a copy.

After he died, it was mentioned that only 20,000 copies were printed or some ridiculously low number like that and that is why prices are so high.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a copy right here. It's yours for $500, unless someone outbids you...

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll stick with Rick Pitino's "Success is a Choice", thank you.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

If it's really going for that much, I believe a store I was at recently still had a copy on the shelf. Sounds like it might be worth a look to find out.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I had it and have misplaced it. I moved so many times between 1992-2003 that it's in a box somewhere. Where? I have no idea...

It's a very tough read.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Shoulda bought it way back when for $239. Woulda been a solid investment.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have had the book for years.
    There is no exaggeration that it is a tough pickup- every football coach across the land uses it as a psalmbook.
    It is an extraordinary piece of work. Even includes how to negotiate with an agent.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They talk about that book in depth on the Bill Walsh "A Football Life." Brian Billick was one of his ghost-writers, and he said Walsh pretty much put his entire life story, his entire playbook and his entire coaching philosophy (right down to practice and meeting schedules) in there. It's well over 500 pages long, which is HUGE for a memoir.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, The "A Football Life" is pretty fascinating. He was never a very happy guy and was very tough on those around him. The stuff about Brown blackballing him from getting a NFL job was amazing stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted