1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6 Americans to watch in MLS 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruben Rivas, Feb 18, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Soccer is much different than the NBA/NHL when it comes to league play. League play is by far the most important thing in soccer since there are no playoffs. Games that matter often end in a tie.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

MLS has playoffs. And tons of ties.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

MLS doesn`t count.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought that's what this entire thread was about.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't know anymore.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

True, the domestic leagues elsewhere don't have playoffs (I was thinking more about the Champion League/World Cup/etc), so it's a fair point. But even in league play, the games that truly matter -- at the end of the season when teams are fighting for points -- I would say that those would very rarely end in a scoreless tie. Just read an analysis of Coulter's infamous piece during the World Cup that said less than 2 percent of games in the Group stage ended in scoreless ties. And obviously, nothing beyond that could end in a tie. I just don't like the argument about the 0-0 tie.

7. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

If we are trying to fix sports here can we get rid of the 50 commercial breaks, burrito breaks, im out shape breaks of nfl and nba games?

Thanks compadre..

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not trying to fix anything. I was replying to a post that attributed the large number of ties in soccer to the lack of league playoffs. Just pointing out that MLS has a playoff and still has a whole lot of draws. In fact, several MLS teams had more ties than wins and losses.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the hangup about ties. Yes, watching a scoreless draw is pretty anti-climactic, but they are relatively rare in high-level soccer. NFL games can end in ties and the NHL games did for years. In fact, a pretty large number of them. Then again, the number in MLS is probably upward of 25 percent.

NHL Adopts Shootout - NHL.com - Collective Bargaining Agreement

National Hockey League -- Fourteen per cent of all NHL regular-season games in the 2003-04 regular season ended in a tie (170 games of 1,230).

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The commercials might be a little annoying, but they are the reason those leagues can pay the best players the highest salaries, so we'll all put up with them and enjoy the best product available. The MLS wishes it had advertisers begging for more air time.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That was not even close to my point.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible the fact that soccer games don't include as many commercials might be a big reason the teams can't pay the big salaries. Networks made a conscious effort to have on-screen ads during games then only show commercials during halftime to avoid disrupting the flow of the game. Was that a mistake? I know soccer fans wouldn't think so, but it has to affect their revenue.

Draft saved Draft deleted