1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Bill O'Reilly have a Brian Williams problem?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And now we have reached the sympathetic stage of Bill O'Reilly's life.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know. I went to a Catholic grade school in the 60's. Just wanted to see if you would feel the need to try and
    further validate Bruce's "blue collar" roots and you did not disappoint.;):cool:

Did you know that Rick Santorum's grandfather was a coal miner and that Joe Biden grew up
    in hardscrabble Scranton, PA. Both trump the blue collar roots of Springsteen and O'Reilly

Obviously many see value and nobility in characterizing their upbringing as blue collar.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And remember not to enunciate War-wick when you talk to someone from Wah-ick.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Where O'Reilly grew up was not NYC.

2) For what it is worth, most firefighters in NYC earn more than $76K a year. They start out with a relatively low salary, but it ramps up quickly if they put in 5 years or so in their 20s -- when nobody earns much. The AVERAGE fighterfighter in NYC earns more than $100K between salary and bonus. At least half the firefighters earn more than $100K.

3) NYC teachers are not Long Island teachers. And when you did your google search to validate what you want, you picked a link with 2008 salaries. Either way, the school districts on Long Island pay more than NYC does -- NYC is a different beast. It is an urban, public school system. Aside from the fact, that NYC teachers earn more than what you typed. ... The typical teacher in a Nassau County School district (not a handful of the highest paid, but the AVERAGE teacher) earns $100K. That is the pay scale. With the cost of living, it's really not as huge a salary as people on here not familiar with the area would think.

4) As for your question --Long Island has subtle variations. In some communities in Nassau County and western Suffolk County, a couple earning a combined $200K is not getting anywhere nearby -- unless they have a good net worth to start (i.e. -- parents helping them) and can afford a multimillion dollar home to start. But speaking very generally, in Nassau County, $200K in salary doesn't make you a pauper, but it's not the money a lot of people in other parts of the country would understand. It doesn't make you wealthy. There are plenty of people earning about that who consider themselves working middle class.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh really? The usual lib left-wing pinkos haven't written about and talked about forgiving Brian Williams?

And if he isn't considered some sort of liberal icon, why hasn't the slobbering idiots of the "Media Matters" type "watchdogs" slobbered all over themselves to kill him like they do every time Rush Limbaugh says something to get their panties in a wad?

9. Boom_70

Not to be confused with Wah-ick Neck. And it's not "Worcester it's Wista

10. Boom_70

I had a job, I had a girl
    I had something going mister in this world
    I got laid off down at the lumber yard
    Our love went bad, times got hard
    Now I work down at the carwash
    Where all it ever does is rain
    Don't you feel like you're a rider on a downbound train

11. Boom_70

I got a job working construction for the Johnstown Company
    But lately there ain't been much work on account of the economy
    Now all them things that seemed so important
    Well mister they vanished right into the air
    Now I just act like I don't remember, Mary acts like she don't care

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Because Rush Limbaugh also is a drug-addicted, misogynist douchebag?

Draft saved Draft deleted